school sux, opening a shop

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

college is so fucking overrated, i go to ny city tech for construction management, proffessors blow, they are serious assholes, parents hate the fact that i want to just work, college is good if u want to be a lawyer, doctor or architect, i just want to work and work my way up in a field, but nooooo! i cant cus people talk shit about college dropouts, anyway its my second year, it takes an 1 and a half eachway to get to school, downtown brooklyn and im in queens, so this is it, i work full time, and school full time, i loooove cars and everything about them, im not good with mechanics but i love audio electronics, and love body work and custom body work. i.e. conversions, paint, u name it i love it, i want to get a job, real chep im guessing at a body shop or audio shop just to learn more and more about it , i dont wanna go to school for it becaues i can learn at a body shop, i want to get good, practice and expert the field, does anyone know any requirements to opening up your own body shop or audio shop, do you need any certifications or is anyone in my shoes, please gimme your comments, its time to start planning my life, and stop listening to what others have planned for me. thanx fellas :unsure:

u need a business license, not hard to get. remember 4 out of 5 shops that open end up closing with 5 years, it is hard work but u can do it.

90% of all businesses fail withing the first 9 months.

good luck, but i would advise you to stay in school

or join the military. put in 4 years, come out and work as a contractor of some sort and watch the cash flow in

You might want to take some basic accounting and small business courses. You can find these available as adult continuing ed courses.

stay in school. i went to a 2 year auto body program and i decided there wasnt a snowballs chance in hell of me making what i wanted. so now im back in school working towards some undecided degree. To start a shop your going to need a shit load of cash. paint booths, frame racks, paint mixing system, office, computers, software and TOOLS i have over 10 grand in tools and i dont have everything i need. IF you were going to start your own shop i would recommend getting into small biz classes and working at a shop for atleast 7 years earning jack shit and try to save up for the shop you want to open. your going to need atleast 500k to start a decent shop from scratch and finding good help is hard too.

now is the time in your life to do this stuff. unfortunatly your not paid well unless you got a paper from some university regaurdless of major. how many times have you heard older people say "i wish i wouldve dropped out of college to work a shit paying blue collar job"?

Go to back to school, but go for business, AFTER scholl start your business up, hire people witht their own tools, and only buy what you need. Or you can just drop out, take outta a loan, watch ur business fall through and be prepared to call bankrupcy. If you have a couple of friends, that are into the same thing as you and already know business, all of you go to the adult learning center take a short class for business and auto body, then each of you take out equal loans, start the shop, hire some people, you have a lot better odds of your business staying alive longer that way.

a guy that hangs around with everyone that has imports around here dropped out of high school.

this past weekend, he wrote "drope zone" in the dust on the back of a friend of mine's lowered hatch.

stay in school.

lol i read it like 5x til i noticed the "dropE zone"

yeah, stay in school.

your current most valueble asset is your credentials, and yes I know you don't have to have to degree to become a wealthy person and such since Dell and Gates dropped out.

But the chances of you becoming successful will increase if you get proper education.

Analogy: (you could survive a 100ft drop, 1 out of 1,000 do...)

well, if you are working full time now... why not get a job doing what you think you might want to do? go be an installer at ebst buy or something.... get a job in a body shop. see if you really like it and can actually do it. its a skill that needs to be learned. you cna' just pick it up.
and thats just the work side of the business.
theres the books, the staff, the healthcare, taxes, lawyers, rent, power, tools, liability insurance when your moron sweeper cuts his hand, and all kinds of shit. its not as easy as you think it might be

THANX OR THE INSGHT, BUT NOW AFTER TALKING TO A GIRL I REALIZEHOW STUPID PEOPLE ARE AROUND HERE AND THAT I HAVE A SOLUTION, IM OVING TO HAWAII, WRKING AT A RESTERAUNT AT NIGHT, JUST ENOUGH TO GET BY AND ENJOY MY DAYS AT THE BEACH, READ THE CONVO WITH THE GIRL

You know... you're right.. I just saw the other girl thread...

School is doing you no good. Move to Hawaii and be a short order cook.

And like I said, have babies and make them vote democrat.

-> Steve

Back