Scion Tc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If I were you though, keep looking at some used stuff. The only downside is that you won't be able to get as good of an interest rate unless it is a certified used car at a OE dealership. The plus is that you won't be taking nearly the hit on resale value like you would on a new car. If the TL is too expensive, look into a 6 speed Altima SER, or a 6 speed 7th gen Accord.

People always point that out but it's really not that big of a deal, most places are pushing car sales and if cert used, you can get .9% or 1.9% as far as normal banks goes they tend to be damn close to new car rates. in fact my credit union offers the same rates for new or used. Capital one as of today is 3.9% new and 4.45 for used For a 18K dollar car over 6 years its $280 for a 3.9% loan and 4.45 = 285

so buying used can get someone into a $30K used car for around 18K (think loaded Accord or an SER and the difference due to the APR is around 5 bucks a month..... Hell buy a used civic for 15K VS 18K and that 5 bucks goes down to around 4 a month and you save a few grand right off the top of the price, used civic might have 10K miles on it or less ^_^

I have a scion tc. I bought it brand new in aug of 06.

It does what I need it to do. Yes it is a cop magnet but its a great car. I don't speed so I'm ok.

I put a Injen CAI.
Megan 4-1 Header.
Badgeless grill
HID retro fit
ARK short throw shifter.
Tinted the windows.
Debadged it.

It's a great little car. Its nothing special, but has the toyota quality the kia DOES NOT. I've test drove one, and yeah its all snazzy and looks decent from the factory, but its a KIA. I've never had a single problem besides losing my deck at 45k. I have 60k on my in the last 3 years. I drove the crap out of it in college and use it day to day for work. Its nothing special. But it does what I need it to do. I drove 3-4 days a week at 200 miles a day for work while I was in school. Averaged about 32mpg at 70mph always. In the city I get around 25mpg in the stop and go.

Would I recommend it? Yes for only my specific purposes.

Otherwise, I'd get something with more power, or more room. Now I'm looking at trucks, but I'm going to keep my scion tc.

Lastly is price. I paid 16,980 before taxes. I didn't even get floor mats with it. I bought genuine ones on ebay later. I put 5k down and my payment was below 300 and that's what I wanted. Insurance was high when I was 19. Very high. But I had tickets and accidents. Now I don't, and I don't have high insurance even with two speeding tickets(ok I lied). It's a fun little car and when I was comparing it to a civic ex, the price was way way way better. And the Si's insurance was another 100/mo so I didn't even bothr with that.

[/ramble]

I pay less than your quoted TC premiums on both a 2009 Honda fit (driving 20k/yr) and a 2006 Sv650s (driving 5k/yr). $0 deductibles on the fit, and $250 on the bike.

I agree with everyone who said "don't get a tc." Don't do it. Too many kids have wrecked them. Get something that people your age don't normally drive, and it'll help your insurance costs. If you're active duty, be sure to clear buying a new car through your commander.

A TC is your typical 16-25 year old driver car, expect to get a lot more attention in it than you would in any other car.

Insurance is weird.
sometimes the most odd cars cost the most

ie, my 318ti cost nearly TWICE to insure as my m3 did.....

That's very true- but when I was in college (20-21) my insurance was still less than $100 a month on my 95 Civic. The insurance rates in Austin are HIGH because of the student population and wacky freeway system.

Just to throw this out there...

I'm in Street Legal Performance class at school and I just dyno'd our Supercharged TC. I was pretty impressed. It put down 198.11hp and 173.48 ft lbs of torque. It is equipped with the TRD Supercharger (I forgot what lb. pulley it's running) and DC Sports header. It also had the stock exhaust on it.

I'll be throwing on the TRD exhaust tomorrow and i'll see what kinda power it puts out :)

So my .02 cents is that the TC seems like a good car... In terms of daily driving performance :)

Insurance is weird.
sometimes the most odd cars cost the most

ie, my 318ti cost nearly TWICE to insure as my m3 did.....

allot is based on safety features, which is why my mercedes was like 80 dollars less a month then my scion tc

Just to throw this out there...

I'm in Street Legal Performance class at school and I just dyno'd our Supercharged TC. I was pretty impressed. It put down 198.11hp and 173.48 ft lbs of torque. It is equipped with the TRD Supercharger (I forgot what lb. pulley it's running) and DC Sports header. It also had the stock exhaust on it.

I'll be throwing on the TRD exhaust tomorrow and i'll see what kinda power it puts out :)

So my .02 cents is that the TC seems like a good car... In terms of daily driving performance :)

what was the base run?

what was the base run?
I don't know. I think UTI got it from Toyota with the TRD Supercharger on it already.

I threw the TRD exhaust on but I didn't get a chance to dyno it because we had to clean up the dyno room. Someone was dyno'ing our SRT-4 and blew the radiator cap off. We had to clean coolant off of every damn thing and ran out of time :(

Back