SCO trying to declare GPL null and void

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
Slashdot article

I remember the last SCO discussion we had here, I predicted SCO would try this very thing... Now it looks like they're trying!

SCO is attempting to get the law to stike the Gnu Public Liscense. Shocking, may they fail horribly.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 28 2003, 01:27 PM
SCO is attempting to get the law to stike the Gnu Public Liscense. Shocking, may they fail horribly.

uhhh...ok? :unsure:

whoopdedoo.gif

:D

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 28 2003, 12:36 PM
whoopdedoo.gif

Well if they were to somehow succeed, Linux would be essentially gone. Any GPL'ed software would either be illegal, unlicensed, or owned by SCO. Not entirely sure what would exactly happen if it went through, but it would be very bad for science, innovation in general, everyone on the planet except Microsoft.

Read some of the posts below the actual article, IMO the GPL is not in any danger.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 28 2003, 12:36 PM
whoopdedoo.gif

Actually it is a pretty big deal. If SCO had a real case it could change the way people veiw/use Linux. It would certainly set the idea of free software back.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 28 2003, 02:00 PM
Read some of the posts below the actual article, IMO the GPL is not in any danger.

I don't think it's in any real danger, it's just absurd that they're even trying.\

SCO is nothing but a puppet company nowadays for Microsoft. Microsoft is practically funding them completely while using them as a shield for everything ugly they want to do against Linux. SCO takes all the blame and Microsoft looks all squeeky clean.

That goes a little farther into conspiracy theory than I care to. I don't know if there are any major ties between MS and SCO so I guess I am not sure. I don't think that MS wants to destroy the GPL or Linux. If the GPL went and all the Linux useres had to start paying for product that would mean developers would be paid to write them and we would see a much larger selection of software available for Linux. That could potentially hurt MS. As of now Linux is no serious threat because Office doesn't run on it. :)

Open Office by Sun runs on linux, and will read any MS created office document from word to excel to power point.

Saying that office is holding back linux is like saying MS never needs to be patched.

What's stopping linux from taking over, frankly, is us. everyone was brought up on MS. everyone knows asp.... msSQL, visual basic, active directory...
and bringing in linux, would be basically firing my, and most, entire offices due to the fact that they don't know dick about mtsql, postgre sql, php, apache, and so forth.

heres a good question from someone not from the "tech" community...

what is the point of linux? what is so good about it? i went to FRYS ELECTRONICS (discount computer store in so cali) to look at computers, and they had Linux (the penguin one) loaded onto a computer...i tried messing with it, but it reminded me of windows 3.1...

whats the big deal?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 29 2003, 02:33 AM
heres a good question from someone not from the "tech" community...

what is the point of linux? what is so good about it? i went to FRYS ELECTRONICS (discount computer store in so cali) to look at computers, and they had Linux (the penguin one) loaded onto a computer...i tried messing with it, but it reminded me of windows 3.1...

whats the big deal?

open source coding. If something goes wrong with Linux, you have the ability to take it apart and fix it yourself.

the big deal is that its stable as fuck.

hondaswap is running on Red Hat. the server was last rebooted in June.

how long can your windows machine go before it locks up and you need to reboot?

think your computer gets NEARLY the work out that our webserver does??? hahahahahaa

Linux is 100% free. You never have to purchase anything, no company can come break down your door because your OS reported to the mothership that it was stolen. The OS itself is completely opensource so not only can you fix any problems that you find, you can make your own additions to the OS as well. All derviative works form Linux have to comply with the GPL so they all have to be open source as well.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 29 2003, 02:09 PM
Linux is 100% free. You never have to purchase anything, no company can come break down your door because your OS reported to the mothership that it was stolen. The OS itself is completely opensource so not only can you fix any problems that you find, you can make your own additions to the OS as well. All derviative works form Linux have to comply with the GPL so they all have to be open source as well.

Yeah.. with a good knowledge of C, it's essentially anything you want it to be... i love cshell =)

Back