1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scraping

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by 92civicb18b1, Dec 22, 2003.

1. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

Brakes are scraping, I need to know how to repair this problem, i installed new pads and bled the system. What do you think the cause of the scraping might be...warped rotor? rotors need resurfacing? Just shitty pads?

2. 92civicb18b1

o yea i forgot, they engage and stop properly..doesnt pull, and the pedal feels good.

3. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

look at the surface of the rotors; should be shiny(where pads contact) and even. since you installed new pads i would try resurfacing if it doesnt look right.(btw when you replace pads, you dont need to bleed the system, only when you install new calipers or wheel cylinders, or something that requires draining of fluid)

4. 92civicb18b1

it was one of those regular maintenence things anyways, the pedal felt like shit before i did it too. But I'll check the rotors, see what i can find, and if they're "bad" then ill get them resurfaced or just buy new.

5. lude68

lude68 Senior Member

yea what he said bout the rotors..but hell if you need new ones look on ebay and get you a nice set of slotted rotors for cheap! its worth it!

6. NoJokE

NoJokE Senior Member

If its not the rotors, check the calipers, the pistons might be seized causing the brake pads to rub against the rotor.

7. 92civicb18b1

Isn't this what its supposed to do.

I'm not gettin slotted rotors...This is a daily driven car, I need my brakes to last. Slotted rotors just shave off part of the pad everytime its engaged and claims to cut down heat. IMO a full flat surface rotor will do its justice better than a drilled or slotted, for the reason being it has more surface area in which the pad contacts the rotor.

8. NoJokE

NoJokE Senior Member

Did you read what i said, i said IF the rotors are NOT warped, then check the calipers, they might be seized and make the brake pad rub when you are NOT on the brakes.

9. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

if they were seized they wouldnt move back or forth, thus brakes are always applied or cant be applied. the only thing you would check the caliper for is leaks.

10. mwvnos

mwvnos Senior Member

id do like everyone says and check out the rotors and even if they dont look bad resurface them or buy news ones all together....

11. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Odd. I didn't think it was about getting the most surface area as much as it was the amount of pressure you could apply to the surface area you had to work with.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted