Scratched DVD's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
I got an old Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon DVD that is scratched.

The first hour and a half, the dvd works fine.

15 Minute before the final fight scene, the dvd starts skipping and the picture gets all choppy.

im using my ps2 to view the dvd on. i dont have any other dvd players in my house.

i tried to use rubbing alcohol to clean it, and it made it a little better, but the dvd is still skipping.

is there any trick out there that anyone knows about, in order to make the dvd work again?

i konw there is a product out there that "shaves" a millmeter off the surface of the dvd, but it costs 19.99, and is not worth buying in order to fix my dvd.....

?

petroleum jelly?

creating more scratches that will overide the old ones?

I use to play DVD's in my PS2 and it always, and I mean ALWAYS skipped at some point in a movie. Are you sure that it's scratched up? Try it at a friends house. It may be that you just need to hit up walmart for a $60 dvd player.

Originally posted by civicgirlracer97@Oct 10 2003, 05:19 PM
It may be that you just need to hit up walmart for a $60 dvd player.

untill i start my new job in 2 weeks, my pockets are looking like rabbit ears.....

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Oct 10 2003, 05:21 PM-->
civicgirlracer97
@Oct 10 2003, 05:19 PM

untill i start my new job in 2 weeks, my pockets are looking like rabbit ears.....

:lol: yeah I hear that, I just started a new one last week. Sucks being in between jobs. Good luck though.

spend the $30 on a disc dr. you know that black and green thing with the wheel on it? well, it resurfaces the whole cd. it pays for itself with fixing 1 cd and 1 dvd, well worth it.

Originally posted by civicgirlracer97+Oct 10 2003, 05:23 PM-->
Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 10 2003, 05:21 PM
civicgirlracer97

:lol: yeah I hear that, I just started a new one last week. Sucks being in between jobs. Good luck though.

what job did u start?

actually i been inbetween jobs for the past year :lol:

i was living off my retirement PERS i cashed in, and a shitload of $$ i saved up from when i was working and my Ebay shit.

i just kinda sorta spent all of it :lol:

it was supposed to be budgeted for 3 years.

i blew it all in 8 months....

I have three DVD players within a 5 food radius of each other...

I have my PS2, a Samsung DVD player and the one in my computer.

I got my PS2 and Samsung hooked to my puny 19" tv which is about 7 yrs old...and my computer has a giant 19" monitor (18" viewing area).

Notice the 19 can be puny and giant depending on which thing you're talkin about. <_< :D

Believe it or not a small amount of toothpaste would work. Very small amount on the scratched area. Also the suggestion of licking the DVD seriously works!

I WILL USE GOOGLE BEFORE I ASK QUESTIONS ON HONDASWAP.COM

straight from a UK website, here is step by step instructions on how to do it:

2. Equipment you may need

The equipment mentioned on this site include a selection from:

Soft cloth
spectacle lens cloth, or if you've got nothing else, soft tissue/kitchen paper will do fine. Just make sure whatever you use is clean.

Rough cloth
The best I've had experience with is an old sock. It doesn't want to be too rough, cotton cloths like T-shirt material is good. Good for working out those deeper scratches.

Toothpaste
Yep, no joke, ordinary toothpaste. Contains small bits of grit to help work away scratches. It's not a good idea to use any kind of harsh toothpaste.

Brasso/metal polish
A bit finer than toothpaste, so you can finish off your CDs with this.

Vaseline
Petroleum jelly to fill in remaining scratches to reduce diffraction. This really does work.

And well, that's about the main of it. I'm sure you can find alternatives (or extra things) if you don't have any of those things.

Find a table or similar flat steady surface.

Put a tablecloth over it, or lay some soft tissue down, and make sure the surface is clean. Yes, little bits of dried cornflakes can scratch CDs.

Lay the CD silver side up on the soft surface.

Make sure the CD surface is clean by using wet tissue paper or baby wipes, wiping in straight lines from the inside of the disc to the outside. (BTW, this cleaning may make your CD work now if it was just dust/dirt causing the problem). I heard somewhere that some solvents can damage the CD, but I never had any problems with metholated spirits. However, wet tissue works well anyway.

4. Finally...the step where you actually do something

Ok, so you want to get rid of that scratch you made when you dropped your sister's Spice Girls CD (even though you do try to convince her that the skipping actually improves the track).

So, if you've got this far you should have read the short but important preparation section. Now, to get started on that scratch.

1) Find the scratches. If its not obvious then follow this step. Hold the CD to the light so you can all those little scratches on the surface clearly. The sort of scratches that you're looking for are those deep enough to be easily noticeable and often run in the direction with the track on the surface (parallel to outside edge of CD). If the disc has taken on a cloudy appearance cause by many fine scratches follow the next steps using only a smooth cloth (unless the scratches just aren't shifting) and rubbing across the sections of scratches, working in straight paths from the centre.

Try to estimate through use of the CD where the scratches are likely to be (i.e. If the skipping of an audio CD is in the first couple of tracks, or the game can't get past the loading stage etc. then look for scratches in the centre of the disc). Now you've found what scratches you are going to deal with, move on to the next stage.

2) Get a small amount of toothpaste on the rough cloth (if the crack is not very deep then the smooth cloth might do)

3) Rub the cloth firmly over the scratch. This needs to be firm enough as you feel is appropriate for the severity of the scratch. However, if you rub too hard you thumb will hurt to much to continue long enough to achieve anything, and if you rub too lightly then you'll be there all day. This may take a few minutes depending on the scratch, just keep topping up with a little toothpaste (not too much or there'll be no friction). New scratches may appear as you are rubbing, but as long as they'll only light scratches this won't matter, and we'll be smoothing these off later. When the scratch has nearly gone, or doesn't seem to be getting better, move on to the next step.

4) If you used a rough cloth for the last step, move on to using the smooth cloth. Just do what you did before, until you're bored or too tired to continue. Clean with water and tissue. Then move on to using the soft cloth with some metal polish like brasso. This should smooth out some of the extras scratches you made, but may not be noticeable, so just work at that for a few minutes.

5) Next, clean the CD again using water. Then get a small amount of Vaseline on the end of your (clean) finger, and smooth across the scratch, rubbing it in a bit. It may help just going over any other scratched regions you see on the CD like this, as it will improve reading of your CD, especially on a console with a weaker laser like the PlayStation. Using some tissue or soft cloth rub the Vaseline off of the CD (in straight paths from the centre). Do not do this too vigorously or the Vaseline will be rubbed out of the scratches.

Now to test your CD. If it still doesn't work, try again from step 2).

If it does work, congratulations. You've just saved your CD. And it cost you nearly nothing.
:D

that seams too long of a job. Go buy a DVD Disc Doctor.
Step one, put the cd on the tray.
Step 2 spray the special solution.
Step 3 close the thingy mobober and spin the handle until the cd makes one 360 degree pass
Step 4 Open up and spray the shit again.
Step 5 Close it, switch directions, then spin another 360 degrees
Step 6 Take out, with rage provide, get the fluid off, set it out to dry fully.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 11 2003, 03:56 PM
Just put it in the microwave, works wonders.

ive done that ...... :D :D :D

looks cool as hell ..... kinda stinks up the house though

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Oct 11 2003, 06:35 PM-->
Frankie P.
@Oct 11 2003, 03:56 PM
Just put it in the microwave, works wonders.

ive done that ...... :D :D :D

looks cool as hell ..... kinda stinks up the house though

Ahhhhh... that's the solution for those free CD's that AOL keeps sending us......

Side note...keep a Microwave out in the garage for veiwing pleasures......

I nuked CarbonFiber as an experienmet...it was cool.....don't do this at home kids...it will smell, and spark, and a flame will emit......and mommy might get mad at the cool side effects...

just a tip:

take a paper cup and make a stand out of it
youll get a better view

s3f889e0b8b2a9.jpg

:)

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Oct 11 2003, 12:24 AM-->
Originally posted by civicgirlracer97@Oct 10 2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 10 2003, 05:21 PM
civicgirlracer97

what job did u start?

actually i been inbetween jobs for the past year :lol:

i was living off my retirement PERS i cashed in, and a shitload of $$ i saved up from when i was working and my Ebay shit.

i just kinda sorta spent all of it :lol:

it was supposed to be budgeted for 3 years.

i blew it all in 8 months....

I started as a student radiographer part-time (still have 8 months left of school before its official). Not too bad of a place, it's kind of like an urgent care center for International Paper employees.

I'm playing catch up on my bills as well. I took 3 months off in between jobs just to chill out and well it was fun while it lasted. :D

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 11 2003, 01:27 AM
within a 5 food radius of each other...

:lol: bad ass. i want a 5 food radius.

Back