Screwed 1/4 mile run

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KrAzKrEg

Hey guys, just took my del sol to the track and im just a little dissapointed in my slips. Heres the slip.

R/T .921
60 2.301
330 6.429
1/8 9.817
MPH 71.790
1000 12.704
1/4 15.151
MPH 91.08

Temp was 84. Barametric pressure was 29.97 (very roughly) and Elevation at Mason Dixon Dragway is 535 feet. Humidity was somewhere around 75-80%. Im driving a 93 honda del sol with a GSR swap that was dyno tested at 159 whp, and 118 ft-lb of Tq. I was seriously expecting to break into the 14's without much of a problem. Am i being too optimistic? Its my first time running at the track so i was playing around with the launch alot. Pills I know you have run your sol at the track alot...any thoughts? Hows this compare to what youve done in the past?

Well the engine was totally rebuilt about 20000 miles ago. It was overboard 25 thousands and has ITR pistons. Other than that, the only thing that would add power is I/H/E.

you need to work on your rt and focus on shifts you cn drop a .4 off your time

A 15.1 is a great ET (in my opinion), and you're only 2 tenths from the 14s.

I suggest ripping out some of the rear of the interior (seats, carpet, carpet glue, spare tire, jack, plastic interior pieces, etc)

Originally posted by KrAzKrEg@Aug 10 2003, 09:48 PM
Pills I know you have run your sol at the track alot...any thoughts? Hows this compare to what youve done in the past?

The only thing Pills has in common with you is a del sol, and its a 94 Si, which is heavier, and has had two totally different setups then a B18C. Different tire/wheel combo, different vehicle weights, etc...Only way to improve is upgrade internals, new clutch/flywheel, better tires, lighter wheels, weight reduction, the list goes on.

You should work on your driving skills. The Del sol VTEC which has less hp and trq, plus is heavier is rated from the factory for a 15.1. Basicly, work on your launch (your 60 ft times are kinda slow), shifts, and do weight reductions. Take out the passenger seat, spare tire, everthing in the trunk, run on a 1/4 tank of gas, ect. What wheels and tires are you running?

Yes, your RT could use some work. Once you learn how to launch your 60ft time should come down quite a bit.

Peace*

Im running some lard ass 17" enkie CDR-9's with 205-40 nittos. I know not the best to run but its all i had besides the stock 13's which i assumed would be fun as hell. I also ran with 1/4 tank and emptied the trunk. No spare tire, jack, golf clubs ect. And as far as the reaction time goes, i was under the impression that it didnt matter, being a non race test and tune night? Thanks guys, this is making me feel a little better knowing its just my sorry ass driving.

If you could find a set of VX 13 inch OEM wheels, an mount them with a good tire, your times would drop alot.

Yes your right, those people dont know what they are talking about, R/T only matters when your racing someone.

Originally posted by KrAzKrEg@Aug 12 2003, 08:18 AM
golf clubs

:lol: at the golf clubs!
Me too!
Or if you want bigger than 13's get some 14 in. HX alloys.
They don't weigh much.
Yes RT only matters if you're trying to beat someone else.
If you're racing for times, go when you want to.
That's what I do. No need to put all the pressure on yourself, when you're racing yourself...

If you look at the guys at the strip with good reactions times they often times get good 60ft times as well. The only reason I said anything about the RT is because most experienced drag racers run good RT's. I do know that the RT has nothing to do with his time directly. Practice makes perfect! Good luck!

Peace*

Originally posted by KrAzKrEg@Aug 12 2003, 08:18 AM
Im running some lard ass 17" enkie CDR-9's with 205-40 nittos. I know not the best to run but its all i had besides the stock 13's which i assumed would be fun as hell. I also ran with 1/4 tank and emptied the trunk. No spare tire, jack, golf clubs ect. And as far as the reaction time goes, i was under the impression that it didnt matter, being a non race test and tune night? Thanks guys, this is making me feel a little better knowing its just my sorry ass driving.

0o man ...my friend had those on a crx with b16 and itr internals & i/h/e...16's..he took them off the ran low 14's....his r/t first was horrid the first time thou

you'll have no problem getting into the 14's. better your r/t to at least a .6 . get some slicks. and ur there

the bigger the wheels the higher the rotational inertia, I don't know how much it will improve your times but for sure if you run some 14's or some light 15's you will drop some time (plus get a smoother overall ride, less curb damage, won't have to fear potholes as much)

I'm hoping to get my car to a track maybe later this summer once I have done a few more things to it

I'm running a set of 14" HX alloys, should make me hit 11's easy :lol:

Guys, Shut up about the reaction times. It means SQUAT. Having a .500 reaction time WILL NOT lower his 1/4 mile time AT ALL. If he's concentrating on the r/t, then he will probably slow down because he'll bog off the line or something.

Jeez.

Ok, here's the skinny.

For 17" wheels, your 60' time is not bad at all. You might want to find some better wheels and tires for launching, though. NO, 13" Steelies DO NOT help you times when drag racing. Sorry to dispell any Ricer's misconceptions in this fact. 15" Acura or Newer Civic Si wheels with some good 195/50/15, 195/55/15, or 205/50/15 sticky street tires or drag radials would be great.

CLEAN OUT YOUR TRUNK. There's no reason to weight down your car when all you're really doing is slowing down the performance of your car. Also, keeping stuff cleaned out of your car increases gas milage of your vehicle by up to 10% if you really carry around alot of shit.

Congrats! You're running some really decent times for a 17" wheel equipped B16a Del SOl.

Well, Its not a B16a Its a B18C, thats what I was a little bit bothered by. Im looking into tring to find some wheels now that will be a little bit lighter. I guess the times arent terrible, but i was still hoping for better. Thanks for your opinions fellas. I just wanted some advice on how to improve. Anyone have any other ideas???

Back