Screwed up CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

For some reason my 88' CRX Dx is soooooo unbelieveabley slow it's pitiful. it acelorates from 0-60 in about 45 seconds and i have no clue why. I have checked all the obviuos like spark, the plugs, oil change, intake, and all seem to be fine. I put a cold air intake and a "high flow" cat on but it didn't seem to do a single thing. Any sugestions would be greatly apriciated.

it feals weird when i drive it like i'm towing somthing and it also stops acelorating at 75-80mph. it feals like the motor is pushing hard but somthing is holding it down. Also I have no top end in 3rd and 4th gear. As soon as i hit 4000 rpm's it just kinda stops.

ah yes the fuel filter....................just changed it about 2,000 miles ago and i have had the problem for about 10,000.

Check your ECU for a flashing red LED. If you have a failed sensor, your ECU may be running on the backup fuel and ignition programming (limp home mode). The backup programming has limited fuel and ignition, and generally has around a 3800 rpm revlimit. There are a couple of sensor failures that don't illuminate the CEL, and there is a possibility your CEL is bad, so you won't get an indication of a problem. If everything with the ECU is fine, check the fuel pressure. How many miles are on the car?

it has 190,000 miles on it and i don't think it was very well maintained before i got it. i'm trying to keep it alive as long as possible cause i like to use it as a fun little winter car.

i had the same type of problem (before the swap) I took out injectors and cleaned them and then i found out the tdc sensor was bad in the dist. So i had to get a new one ..................

Try that stuff. :D

Originally posted by tylonalsnifnfool@Aug 7 2003, 05:00 PM
For some reason my 88' CRX Dx is soooooo unbelieveabley slow it's pitiful. it acelorates from 0-60 in about 45 seconds and i have no clue why. I have checked all the obviuos like spark, the plugs, oil change, intake, and all seem to be fine. I put a cold air intake and a "high flow" cat on but it didn't seem to do a single thing. Any sugestions would be greatly apriciated.

check the ground wires to the ECU. there was a problem with some civics having bad ECU ground wires/connections. i read about it on some honda service bulletin thing. worth checking out.

also, you might just need a new ECU (no MPFI swap).

Back