Sea Foam= Carbon Killer?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swanny

Saw this on H-T and found it interesting, supposedly it works pretty well if done right.

ok here's a how-to for a Camaro...pretty much identical except for location of brake booster and what not.

1. Park car in a well-ventilated area.

2. Start car and run until it reaches closed loop (generally 5-10 minutes, and above 160°).

3. Open hood.

4. Find black hose that runs from the middle of the driver's side of the intake manifold into the black box on the firewall. This is the brake booster hose.

5. Remove the hose end from the black box; you'll hear the vacuum and the car's idle change.
* If your car stalls out, then use the middle hose that attaches to the passenger side of the throttle body. It's an L-shaped piece of hose, that connects to a black box mounted on the pass. side of the intake manifold. Pull the end connected to that box, and use that for sucking the liquid in, detailed below.

6. Place end of hose into the top of the Carbon Cleaner bottle. Allow it to suck liquid out until the engine starts to idle noticeably lower; then remove the hose from the bottle. Do not pour enough to stall the engine yet.
* Warning: Sea Foam does not recommend sticking a vacuum line into the bottle, but rather pouring the liquid into the line by using your thumb over the top of the bottle to regulate the flow. This prevents too much liquid from being drawn in and possible hydro-locking. It is your choice how to do it, at your own risk.

7. Repeat the above until between 1/3 and 1/2 of the liquid has been used.

8. Now let enough of the liquid be sucked in until it stalls the engine.

9. Turn off ignition.

10. Replace black hose end into brake master cylinder (the black box on the firewall).
* If you used the throttle body connection, reconnect it back to the black box.

11. Pour the remaining 2/3-1/2 of Carbon Cleaner into crankcase (through the oil filler tube). If you want to be exact per its instructions, you can measure out about 7.5 ounces to add to a full oil supply of 5 quarts. This turns out to be between 1/3 and 1/2 of the can.

12. Pour other full bottle of Carbon Cleaner liquid into gas tank.

13. Remove intake bellows from throttle body and push up out of the way.

14. Have someone (or something) press the gas pedal all the way down, or manually move the throttle cable assembly under the hood, until the throttle blades are fully open.

15. Spray Sea Foam Deep Creep into throttle body, fully soaking the blades, the bottom, top, and up and down into the intake manifold behind the throttle body. Use a good amount.

16. Wipe off excess liquid and visible deposits from the throttle body and blades with a shop or paper towel (especially around the edges of the blades), and reconnect intake bellows.

17. Let car sit for a total of 15 minutes from the point you stalled the engine (however much of the 15 minutes is left after you've done steps 9-16).

18. Start car (it will be harder than normal).

19. Immediately take the car for a spirited drive, being sure to rev high as well as put a load on the engine to make best use of the Sea Foam in the oil valleys and lifter and ring areas. Enjoy the fogging of your neighborhood. Then take it to the gas station and fill up the tank with 91+ octane (as always).

What are your experiances? Anyone tried it?

Dude go to your better auto parts store.. I dont think autozone carries it! but get the stuff you dumb in the gas tank! This is the best stuff you can buy and it actually works! A+ for SEA FOAM

personally, i would never let my motor "suck" and type of "liquid" into the intake manifold. but hey, thats just me.

yeah we do the same thing at work when we do the Fuel Injection Cleaning. we have a bottle that holds our cleaner, which we usually just hang under the hood at the top. the bottle has an adjustable valve on it sort of like an IV, that is clear to see the amount that is dripping into the vacuum line. From the valve there is a line a couple feet long that has a fitting on the end that we stick in the brake booster line.

we fill that bottle up and start the car, then run it for a while with a steady drip going. then when we get ready to turn it off, we open the valve all the way and flood the motor and turn it off. after hooking everything back up, we start it and rev the shit out of it, and smoke out the whole garage. It's funn as hell watching the customers look at it. They get a look on their face like they're gonna leave.

Basically that stuff works good, never tried the brand mentiones above, but in general that method tends to work. The only part of that i would NOT do is add that other shit to your oil. I dont really like oil additives so i guess thats just me.

this is an old timers trick, they used to just use ATF fluid sucked up thru the vaccuum lines.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 7 2004, 07:49 PM
this is an old timers trick, they used to just use ATF fluid sucked up thru the vaccuum lines.

yup old school shit right there

i dont really get it? cant i just spray it in the throttle body? and does it work?

Back