security system advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D16Civic

Matt
VIP
I know some of you guys have some type of security system, be it for home or business purposes. I'm looking into installing something at the house as some added piece of mind beyond the .45 and dog barks. I live in an area of very low crime, but we've had a rash of petty thefts, including my across the street neighbors having their gps/ipods stolen from their cars, albeit unlocked. I work afternoons, and don't get home until 230 am, so wife/kid are home alone at least 4 nights a week. Wife is a pretty good shot, but video proof can never hurt.

My question is, what should I be looking for and what kind of price point is reasonable? I'd like to stay away from wireless, in all honesty. I'll be DIYing this, and I've got plenty of experience pulling coax/cat5, and I have all the necessary tools and materials, so that's not an issue. I need an Iphone/android app, HD of some sort would be nice (because why not), and some type of night vision.

The internet reviews vary wildly, so it's a bit confusing, and I'm a little bit lost, so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

TIA

I use Lifeshield...The equipment was free,its a self install system, easy as shit to setup. Can access everything through your phone by an App or online through a dashboard type interface. It's cheaper than ADT and higher rated....If you want, give me your email and i can refer you through my account and we both will get some special discount.

or just check it out at Lifeshield.com....I have the gold package..didn't want to pay extra for the camera monitoring..i'll do that myself at some point without the monthly fee....i haggled them for some extra sensors for free and it was no problem.

Mine even came with a Tablet, it's a Coby but w/e lol. I think they still come with tablets

what type of set up are you looking for?

closed circuit, record/monitor yourself/on phone/etc
or with a paid monitoring service (ie, ADT)

I really don't need anything for inside/glass breaks/door sensors, etc. I'm more interested in being able to monitor what and who is going around outside. I'd like to stay away from a monitored service in all honesty. I looked a little at the lifeshield CG mentioned and I don't really think that's what I'm after. 5 year contract from what I looked at, and they don't offer any outdoor cameras.

Probably 4ish cameras, maybe expandable down the road, a dvr, and the ability to monitor from our phones when we are out.

I'll post in here later. But your request isn't uncommon. I can't sell you a system because you live outside of MD, and WA requires licensure to do that, but I can tell you what you probably want. I'll post back when I get some time.

I really don't need anything for inside/glass breaks/door sensors, etc. I'm more interested in being able to monitor what and who is going around outside. I'd like to stay away from a monitored service in all honesty. I looked a little at the lifeshield CG mentioned and I don't really think that's what I'm after. 5 year contract from what I looked at, and they don't offer any outdoor cameras.

Probably 4ish cameras, maybe expandable down the road, a dvr, and the ability to monitor from our phones when we are out.

ahhhh, should change title to Surveillance System Advice then :)

Here, I'm lazy:

I have that setup you mention, plus the remote viewing. I run a VPN at home, so you can't get to it publicly anyway. My phone connects back to my VPN, as do my tablet, and my traveling laptop. It's more of a safety thing to see if someone is home before I'm home. It records and I think it stores 30 days of motion sensitive footage. I think it's a 750GB drive.

I suggest focusing on securing your perimeter, and then focusing on the natural entry points to both the home and the property afterwards. The whole idea is that you want the most warning possible if someone tries to overrun your castle, not that you want to see who is trying to overrun it. For the front door "peephole" either a 2.5" or a 3" monitor next to the door, with a feed of the door camera is sufficient in most cases, however you want to set it up to leave the monitor off unless someone is watching it, because you don't really want to give away that you have that capability.

I'd add IR illuminators to that list, and enough of them to light up your whole yard. Strategically placed and tuned motion sensor lights (they're just PIR) will add to that layer of security. Just keep in mind that with PIR lights you'll have to adjust the sensitivity each season to ensure you keep them zoned properly.

Just a note, don't point any cameras to areas that have visibility inside your house. You don't want to be watching yourself, it's a waste of hard drive space, and in the event of something happening, it doesn't help you to show that you walked past the window three hours before strapped with an AK, Pistol and a loaded down tactical vest.

For that much you might as well go 720p. You'll still need IR illuminators with pretty much any setup.

Here are some better choices:
Q-See 4 Channel HD Digital NVR with 1TB Hard Drive and 4 HD 720p IP Cameras << 720p for $699
Lorex 8 Channel Full HD PoE NVR Security System with 2TB Hard Drive and 4 HD 1080p Cameras << 8 channel for $849

Both of these systems are PoE, meaning you can easily run the Cat 5/6 wire wherever you want, and they're expandable.

Stay away from it. 960x480 resolution is an ODDBALL, and means it was designed to be used as such. Standard resolutions or nothing at all. 960 doesn't net you any real benefits but wasting precious pixels. IIRC most "960H" cameras are digitally upscaled Sony "Super HAD" 480x480 CCDs.

Thanks guys. I was looking at the lorex site and there's a couple on there that look like they would suit me pretty well. Just need to make up my mind and order it, and talk myself into spending a day crawling around in my hot ass attic.

I just hacked my first simplisafe system using a hackrf.

I can disarm the system without having any credentials. :D

Back