Security system lowers insurance?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

I was checking out alarms at best buy. The guy that was selling them told me that I can get a rebate on my insurance if i have a alarm in my car. Is this true or should i go back that and kick him in the jimmy?

Around here no.

The Nissan dealership sold me an added security system off the fact that it lowers your insurance I said ok and paid the 249 talked down from 299.

two days later after finding out that not one place out of 5+ I called gave better rates based on it I said here take it back and give me my money back.....

ask your insurance first. Some even the cheapest will lower, others you must go with somehting that offers tracking (aka loJac).

i was under the impression it had to be lojack or on star, something with tracking like asmallsol was talking about. i know i dont get a discount because it's not one of those.

I get a theft discount for my Clifford, but that's with State Farm. I don't know who you guys are working with.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 28 2004, 03:25 AM
I get a theft discount for my Clifford, but that's with State Farm. I don't know who you guys are working with.
[post=423128]Quoted post[/post]​

Guess it's with your area.

Maryland, and statefarm is my insruance company.

Originally posted by preludebuddy@Nov 28 2004, 02:13 AM
i was under the impression it had to be lojack or on star, something with tracking like asmallsol was talking about. i know i dont get a discount because it's not one of those.
[post=423104]Quoted post[/post]​

Depends on the insurance company.

My uncle owns a store that installs them among a lot of other shit, and my dad had an alarm/keyless entry put into his new car and it lowered insurance like $5 a month.

...and most if not all insurances should give you a discount for having an alarm. It may not be anything significant but they should give something. Hell for having etched windows you get a discount.

[post=423132]Quoted post[/post]​

State farm in Jersey gave my dad the discount...and they were even going to leave the market here because they said they werent making enough money. So if they gave my father a discount, in their least profitable market, I'd check to make sure that you weren't being bullshitted.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Nov 28 2004, 03:14 PM

[post=423132]Quoted post[/post]​

State farm in Jersey gave my dad the discount...and they were even going to leave the market here because they said they werent making enough money. So if they gave my father a discount, in their least profitable market, I'd check to make sure that you weren't being bullshitted.
[post=423259]Quoted post[/post]​

I went insurance shopping after I bought my 350Z and out of every major insurance company listed in the phone book NOT ONE offered any discounts for it.

...there is no such thing as rebate on insurance...
that's because they are illegal.

In this case "rebate" was used as a synonymous term for "discount"

Most companies do offer the discount but it is depends on state location, not just by Company. You also have to remember what coverage pays for what a car alarm is meant deter: theft, vandalism, malicious mischief, etc are covered by comprehesive coverage.

To get the discount you have to first have that coverage. Even then the discount isn't very much. For a top level alarm (self-activating (aka passive), battery bypass, audible alarm/lo-jack) the discount is usually no more than 10% of that one coverage.

For example; your premium is $500/6 mos. Of that, comprehensive cost $140.

You paid $200 for an alarm and it saves you a whopping $14/6 mos.

I always told people that asked about the discount for an alarm, "Buy the alarm for the peace of mind NOT for the insurance discount."

here in NJ there is no such thing as rebate on insurance...

cant even get major insurance companies here...
My company just started writing business in NJ again. We can't answer the phones fast enough. If you've got 15 min, give us a call.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Nov 28 2004, 12:16 PM
I've gotten the discount with the factory alarm on my Subaru, through Progressive.
[post=423263]Quoted post[/post]​

i have progressive also and could only get a discount if i had lojack or onstar.

here in NJ there is no such thing as rebate on insurance...

cant even get major insurance companies here...
My company just started writing business in NJ again. We can't answer the phones fast enough. If you've got 15 min, give us a call.
[post=423844]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Who are you with? I know Geico just came into Jersey and State Farm is trying to 'lower' the premiums by jacking it even higher for 'high risk' drivers, i.e., young kids who cant afford the insurance in the first place

Originally posted by asmallsol@Nov 27 2004, 11:39 PM
ask your insurance first. Some even the cheapest will lower, others you must go with somehting that offers tracking (aka loJac).
[post=423061]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, Progressive said that my badass alarm wouldn't save me one dollar unless I could track the car.

Back