See ya later Tristate.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey totalburnout...wtf is a "benny"? :huh:
It's what the Jersey beach culture calls the North Jersey, Staten Island, and New York people that come to what they call "Da Shore" in the summer. They call them "Bennies" because before the weekend they would go to the bank and take out some "Bennies" for "Da Shore". They're what makes the Boardwalks and beaches violent. They come in with their I own the world attitude and leased Caddys and local put them in their place. You stay out of bars by the beach in the summer and the clubs only do business in the summer because "Bennies" love to dance with their wifebeaters on and Blowouts with headbands. In my area we call it the Gotti invasion.

It's what the Jersey beach culture calls the North Jersey, Staten Island, and New York people that come to what they call "Da Shore" in the summer. They call them "Bennies" because before the weekend they would go to the bank and take out some "Bennies" for "Da Shore". They're what makes the Boardwalks and beaches violent. They come in with their I own the world attitude and leased Caddys and local put them in their place. You stay out of bars by the beach in the summer and the clubs only do business in the summer because "Bennies" love to dance with their wifebeaters on and Blowouts with headbands. In my area we call it the Gotti invasion.

werd.

There's facebook and myspace websites dedicated to the hatred of bennies, that my female friend has showed me.

My roomate thats from Tom's River rocks the "LOCAL" sticker that goes vertically up the windshield of his BMW 335i and always has his long board in his trunk. The female always comments on how she wants the sticker and how she had a custom made hoodie or shirt that says "LOCAL" on it.

Really, its two different cultures. I'm from somewhere in between where I'm not complete NYC but I'm within 45minutes of the city. I'd be alienated from the beach cultture and from the metropolitian culture since I don't know my way, intimately, around either of those places - although I've been there enough times to know what its all about.

As I wrote this, my roomate called me to tell me he was heading back home to check the waves for the night...thats the definition of a local.

Me, I rock my birkenstocks rather than thong sandles and get called a benny.

werd.

There's facebook and myspace websites dedicated to the hatred of bennies, that my female friend has showed me.

My roomate thats from Tom's River rocks the "LOCAL" sticker that goes vertically up the windshield of his BMW 335i and always has his long board in his trunk. The female always comments on how she wants the sticker and how she had a custom made hoodie or shirt that says "LOCAL" on it.

Really, its two different cultures. I'm from somewhere in between where I'm not complete NYC but I'm within 45minutes of the city. I'd be alienated from the beach cultture and from the metropolitian culture since I don't know my way, intimately, around either of those places - although I've been there enough times to know what its all about.

As I wrote this, my roomate called me to tell me he was heading back home to check the waves for the night...thats the definition of a local.

Me, I rock my birkenstocks rather than thong sandles and get called a benny.
I am in a weird location. 5 from the beach, 30 from the city. And I kind of have my city gear and my beach gear. My hair is long or short depending on my mood that month. I'm really kind of a hybrid, but I guess if I had to pick one, I'm beach. I've actually been thinking about a tattoo that's blacked out NJ outline with Locals only written across it but IDK if I want it. But you see the problems at the beach? check out the mountains in the winter. Snowboarders are a similar bunch. I remember one time I was up at Mountain Creek with some friends who weren't that good. I pulled off to wait for them on an Intermediate trail. Some kid figured I was a beginner in his way and snowed the hell out of me. Lets just say he regretted it later. If you really want to learn about it check out and indy film called "Locals Only". It talks about surfing localism but it's a similar concept. But if you think NJ is bad with localism check out Hawaii's North Shore. They will literally beat the shit out of you for just paddling out in "their" waves.

PS- Yea I rock my sandles in November.

I lived in Scotch Plains for a while but grew up in Hillside, which is a little different then scotch plains. I lived in Queens for a while and philly for a month

I made it to Denver though.....it's a great city, with normal decent people, 10000x better then Jersey, NY or PA/

Yeah, in Denver Bryan will need a sticker on his car that says "NATIVE".

native.gif
local.gif

This one spooks me out:
democrat.gif

They don't have a "republican" one and certainly not a "libertarian".

Last edited:
Back