Sell me a Chromebook

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
So what is the groups thoughts on Chromebooks? I think B and awpticks may each have one maybe? I have taken to commuting via bicycle to work and really don't enjoy slogging a 12 pound laptop with me all the time. I really have no desire to buy the Google Pixel a little to rich for my blood. If anyone has any experience with Linux distros on them as well I would be curious to hear about the support in that area as well.

I have also considered one of the 200 dollar HP windows machines as well.

use it pretty much all the time. only time i turn on my desktop these days are if i need FTP (there's an app for the CB but its garbage) or to print something (my printer is old, still uses LPT port, not wireless)

I have a super lightweight hp. Chromebooks werent the thing to have back then, but its almost the same thing. Nobody needs a cd drive anymore. As long as they have hdmi or usb ports, you don't need a full size laptop.

What model do you have B? I'm leaning towards the cheap Asus or maybe the Samsung

I have the samsung. It's never let me down.

Things it does:
Pr0n
Interwebs
Google hangouts (I never use)

Things I wish it did:
Illegal scalliwagging
Itunes.

i have the acer 720 with the 4gb ram and better proc. it was 249 back then. now its like 329.
i bought my gf the 720 with 2gb and older proc for 199 for her birthday. i honestly can't tell a difference in performance. does hangouts fine.

no skype
no iShit
not a lot of hdd space

it's designed to use google web services, like drive, docs, etc.

see also:
https://hondaswap.com/threads/device-shopping-for-night-time.526919/
https://hondaswap.com/threads/help-me-pick-out-a-laptop-i-dont-know-shit-about-computers.527500/

Excellent thanks for the info guys. I knew there where some other threads that discussed this. I should have used the old search button.

I also got the older 2gb Acer 720 while it was on sale for like $130, I love this thing and I was trying to follow a site where I could try and turn in into a Chrome/Ubuntu and while I have ran into problems trying to duel boot it, it is only because of my lack of knowledge.
+papers, job apps
+netflix.... other video thingys to watch
+super small and lightweight and its awesome.
I only ever pry the laptop out of my wife's hands if I feel like gaming (which most of the time I just jump on the PS3 or 360)
I was a little skeptical at first but I fell in love with it, oh and the freaking battery life is awesome!

Back