1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sell me a Chromebook

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by Drake, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

So what is the groups thoughts on Chromebooks? I think B and awpticks may each have one maybe? I have taken to commuting via bicycle to work and really don't enjoy slogging a 12 pound laptop with me all the time. I really have no desire to buy the Google Pixel a little to rich for my blood. If anyone has any experience with Linux distros on them as well I would be curious to hear about the support in that area as well.

I have also considered one of the 200 dollar HP windows machines as well.

2. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

use it pretty much all the time. only time i turn on my desktop these days are if i need FTP (there's an app for the CB but its garbage) or to print something (my printer is old, still uses LPT port, not wireless)

3. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

I have a super lightweight hp. Chromebooks werent the thing to have back then, but its almost the same thing. Nobody needs a cd drive anymore. As long as they have hdmi or usb ports, you don't need a full size laptop.

4. Drake

What model do you have B? I'm leaning towards the cheap Asus or maybe the Samsung

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

6. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

I have the samsung. It's never let me down.

Things it does:
    Pr0n
    Interwebs
    Google hangouts (I never use)

Things I wish it did:
    Illegal scalliwagging
    Itunes.

7. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

i have the acer 720 with the 4gb ram and better proc. it was 249 back then. now its like 329.
    i bought my gf the 720 with 2gb and older proc for 199 for her birthday. i honestly can't tell a difference in performance. does hangouts fine.

no skype
    no iShit
    not a lot of hdd space

it's designed to use google web services, like drive, docs, etc.

see also:
    http://hondaswap.com/threads/device-shopping-for-night-time.526919/
    http://hondaswap.com/threads/help-me-pick-out-a-laptop-i-dont-know-shit-about-computers.527500/

8. Drake

Excellent thanks for the info guys. I knew there where some other threads that discussed this. I should have used the old search button.

9. Ichigo1174

Ichigo1174 Member

I also got the older 2gb Acer 720 while it was on sale for like $130, I love this thing and I was trying to follow a site where I could try and turn in into a Chrome/Ubuntu and while I have ran into problems trying to duel boot it, it is only because of my lack of knowledge.
    +papers, job apps
    +netflix.... other video thingys to watch
    +super small and lightweight and its awesome.
    I only ever pry the laptop out of my wife's hands if I feel like gaming (which most of the time I just jump on the PS3 or 360)
    I was a little skeptical at first but I fell in love with it, oh and the freaking battery life is awesome!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted