Senior Paper

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90_EF_Hatch

Señor Member
So its about that time. I have to write my 10 page Senior Paper, but on the bright side i can write it on anything i choose. I am writting on the affects of music on ones personality. It seemed like an interesting topic to me,

Here are a few of the links i am using as sources.

PsyBlog: Personality Secrets in Your Mp3 Player

Music Therapy - How and Why Music Therapy Is Effective

Violent Music Lyrics Increase Aggressive Thoughts and Feelings

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/arts/music/31thom.html

Using Music to Change Your Mood | 2KnowMySelf

... So basically from these and other sources I have come to the conclusion that music does not directly influence ones personality. But if you surround your self with a certain type of music (I.E. violent music) eventually it will cause a change in your personality (i.e. you will be come more violent).

I was just curious as to others thoughts on this subject.

i agree. Music does affect your personality to some extent. I have listend to music that just gets me in an awesome mood. i have also listen to some metal that makes me headbang and speed without me knowing. its just getting into the music.

I dont think the music industry nor artist should be held accounatable for whatever the lister does whether its good or bad. While there are some twisted demonic sicko's out there singing about stupid shit it is your reponsibility to filter that crap out. Also its the parents job to minitor there children on what they are gettin into. Who they are hanging out with and what they believe is right and wrong.

Music is music thats it.

Music is amzing lol. but yeah, my parents used to always look up lyrics to band and what not. They never let me buy the Linkin Park "Hybrid theory" cd when it came out because they thought it was too negative. Thats the main reason I wanted to write on this topic.

also here is another link that shows the effects that certain types of music has on plants and animals ...

How Music Affects Your Kids...What Parents Need to Know

"When the mice brains were later dissected at the end of the experiment, it was found that the mice that had been listening to the voodoo music had abnormal structural changes in their brain cells! The neurons in their brains were growing out wildly in all directions without connecting to other neurons. There was also abnormal amounts of Messenger RNA, a chemical that the brain uses for storing memories."

crazy to think about. I wanna see what my brain looks like after a few years of death metal lol.

Music is amzing lol. but yeah, my parents used to always look up lyrics to band and what not. They never let me buy the Linkin Park "Hybrid theory" cd when it came out because they thought it was too negative. Thats the main reason I wanted to write on this topic.

damn, your parents are nazis ..

I agree entirely, simply from personal experience, music seems to affect the mind quite heavily. My mood always seems to be altered by the music I am listening to be it depressing,enraging,exciting, whatever. However, to say that it completely controls my emotions would be false, I believe its just a matter of amplifying whats is already felt. While in a state of depression people seem to fall back on music to match that set emotion simply because it brings a sense of understanding. Music can be very therapeutic but also on th flip side it can induce a fit of rage among those who try to contain there anger. Simply put, as I said in the first sentence, I agree and I see this topic being filled with different opinions quickly.

hell yea music does have an affect..when i listen to techno,dance,trance.etc..i feel the need to go crazy..it just gets my in such a good mood,i feel like partying(and when driving i tend to speed)
when listening to rap i just feel chill,,like i dunno...
but every type of music affects my emotions/mood

should be a good paper

I have more the nostalgic effect with music. I listen to a lot of things (lol, Hanson and shit like that) when I'm depressed because it how happy I was as a kid and carefree. Not really because I like that kind of music, but that's one of my favorite things about music usually, is the remembrance.

I disagree entirely.

I listen to music that tells bitches to STFU and FU for breaking my heart so i don't have to do it myself. the music gets the emotion out of me

though there may be some dispute of method I think we can all agree that music has a affect on your emotions in one way or another

does the music effect you, or does your mood dictate the music?

it definitely has an effect... but much like B said... when I'm listening to music that expresses anger or rage or pain it helps me to get those emotions out without taking it out on someone else... it also makes me feel that there is someone out there that understands what i am going through and makes me feel less alone in those feelings...

as for aggressive music making people act agressivly... lets compare shows that have happened at local venues to me... Slipknot played the Hartford civic center... they were there with opening acts such as Ramstein, American Head Charge, and System of a Down... the music was aggressive as fuck yet there was no violence at the show, and the pit was one of the friendliest i have been in...
now lets look at the Dave Mathews Band show that was at the Meadows... 2 years in a row there was rioting, people were lighting shit on fire and trashing / flipping cars... riot teams had to come in with tear gas and bean bag shot guns to get control of the crowd... the music at a DMB show is anything but aggressive, yet people were fucking rioting...

these are not isolated instances either... Ive been to a shit ton of aggressive music shows at many different sized venues from small clubs to out door ampatheaters... sure theres sometimes fights here and there but the over all crowd is surprisingly calm (i guess friendly would be a better word)...
the only aggressive show around here that had anything even remotely close to what happened at the 2 DMB shows was Rage Against the Machine and Wu Tang Clan at the Meadows when people started a sod fight and ended up lighting the fence on fire... no riot teams though

i listened to a lot of NWA and other gangster rap growing up... i never pulled a drive by

Last edited:
you did have an afro though...... :rainfro:

as for concerts... i took a nap during slayer when the opened for pantera.
i've been in the pit at SoaD, pantera, mudvayne, etc...

i'm more afraid to go to DMB concerts, as E stated.

Lol, funny icons.
Anyway, yeah I listen to shit to get my feelings out too. I just wanted to talk about the brighter side of music for me.

My first CD was Godsmack LP in 8th grade. Undedited. I haven't murdered anyone yet.

Music is all about the person who listens to it. If the person is impressionable, or looking for guidance, music can sometimes play a major role in shaping ones personality - when human interaction fails. I'm sure if I was raised on nothing but Slayer and Slipknot since I was 10 I'd be a bit violent, but it is all about balance. The run-of-the mill school-age kid should have no problem separating implied violence in music from actions in real life. Parents, and friends have a part in it as well. When a person retracts from life, or doesn't have much human interaction, they may retreat into their music as a way out, or as a way of venting. Mental disabilities and illnesses can amplify the effect, but we're talking extremes.

To say that Tommy the 13-year old will go out and butcher someone with a hatchet, just because he listens to Metallica is wrong. If a child is in danger of being impressioned by music, something bigger is the cause of the problem. Not the music.

On the other hand, music in a less direct way does effect your mood. Do you drive fast while listening to trance, or fusion techno? Do you relax while listening to classical music? Do you sometimes just want to blast angry metal in order to de-stress?

Thats my take on it.

i was rasied on guns N rose and alice in chains and stp, and you don't see me shotting heroin.

people do shit because they want to... not because music tells them too

mm hm. I think it has alot to do with the person. Mainly younger people. Most sterotypes have their "Own" type of music. Gangsters have rap. Country people have country music. Preps have pop lol.

Its not exclusive. I listen to most types of music. But still, it seems to be a basis for atleast getting the first impression of people.

If you're looking for a study of someone who was raised on Pink Floyd, Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and Kitaro - hit me up.

I turned out really fuckin strange because of it.

haha ... how so.

No really. It has to be 10 pages and i dont know how im gonna do it. a short biography on the Affects it had on Celerity would be amazing lol

Back