1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seperating half shaft from axle

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by smooth_criminal, Jun 14, 2005.

1. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal Senior Member

I've never needed to take the axle off the half shaft, but as they say theres a first for everythign. I fucked the thread on the axle and can't get the 32mm nut back on so i'm just going to replace the axle. My questions are
    1. Do i need any specail tools to seperate the two.
    2. Do i need to take th half shaft out of the tranny
    3. How to they pull apart?

thats it for now i'm leaving wrok in 20 min and will be starting the project in like an hour. Let me know any helpful hints you may have.,

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

you do not need to remove the half shaft from the trans...

the axle slides into the half shaft the same as the other axle slides into the tranny with a retaining clip...

3. smooth_criminal

So i should just pry the two apart with a flat screw driver, just like when aking them out of the trans?

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you should be able to just pull it out. pull before the rubber joint though, or you'll just pull the rod out of the cv, and get packed grease everywehere

5. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

Mike (calesta) told me this little trick when I had the exact same problem as you have right now. Get a monkey wrench and stick it into the inch or so gap between the axle and the IM shaft. Make sure nothing is ubstruction the other side of the axle. Give it a swift kick and it will come out.

6. smooth_criminal

ok well i got that taken care of but it didn't solve my problem.
    Heres the deal, the car is making a rotational noise coming from up front. It's not the breaks i'm 100% sure of that. I don't know if it the axles or the tranny or what it could be. It's loudest while decelerating while in gear.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted