seperating half shaft from axle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smooth_criminal

I've never needed to take the axle off the half shaft, but as they say theres a first for everythign. I fucked the thread on the axle and can't get the 32mm nut back on so i'm just going to replace the axle. My questions are
1. Do i need any specail tools to seperate the two.
2. Do i need to take th half shaft out of the tranny
3. How to they pull apart?

thats it for now i'm leaving wrok in 20 min and will be starting the project in like an hour. Let me know any helpful hints you may have.,

you do not need to remove the half shaft from the trans...

the axle slides into the half shaft the same as the other axle slides into the tranny with a retaining clip...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jun 14 2005, 03:33 PM
you do not need to remove the half shaft from the trans...

the axle slides into the half shaft the same as the other axle slides into the tranny with a retaining clip...
[post=512180]Quoted post[/post]​

So i should just pry the two apart with a flat screw driver, just like when aking them out of the trans?

you should be able to just pull it out. pull before the rubber joint though, or you'll just pull the rod out of the cv, and get packed grease everywehere

Mike (calesta) told me this little trick when I had the exact same problem as you have right now. Get a monkey wrench and stick it into the inch or so gap between the axle and the IM shaft. Make sure nothing is ubstruction the other side of the axle. Give it a swift kick and it will come out.

ok well i got that taken care of but it didn't solve my problem.
Heres the deal, the car is making a rotational noise coming from up front. It's not the breaks i'm 100% sure of that. I don't know if it the axles or the tranny or what it could be. It's loudest while decelerating while in gear.

Back