Serial ATA Drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaaseyRacer

Alright so here is the deal, I am building a computer for work. The build consists of the following:
ASUS K8V-X Mother Board
Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754 Processor
ATI Radeon 9600 128
512MB of RAM
Lite On DVD-RW 16x Dual Layer
Lite On DVD/CD-RW 52x48x52
450W Power Supply
200GB Serial ATA Hard Drive

Here is the problem, I installed everything, and on the first start up attempt it starts right up, I go to the BIOS to set the boot order, and I see all my drives in the boot order. I restart, insert my XP CD and attempt to install XP, however XP does not see my Serial ATA HD. I then attempted to run a copy of Maxtor Utilities I had lying around, same deal. I then put a jumper on the drive, as it did not come with one, no dice. I then thought I would switch out the board, so I went into work and swaped out the board, no luck. Then I thought it might be the hard drive so I attempted to swap it out, and again nothing. When I run the Maxtor Utility it does not see the drive either so I am thinking it is something with the actual drive. I am thinking my next step would be to go to maxtor's site and see if there is a newer version of their utility out.
I would normally just call Asus or Maxtor, but they are closed today as it is a Holiday. Any ideas, or anything else I might try? I am stuck at the moment, and I need to get this shit done by Friday, and I have little time to work on it this week.

I'm going to guess jumper settings (if there are any) or BIOS settings. There's not much to tell from what you posted here... you're just going to have to re-read your manuals and try different things out.

There was not a jumper on the drive to start with, however I put one on just to try it out. It is a maxtor drive so it is on Jumper 50. I will try taking it off and see if that works too. BIOS settings are where they should be, it is reading the drive, and it is set to boot of the Disk Drive, then CD Drive the Hard Drive for the moment. I will re-read the Asus manual tonight, Maxtor did not give me shit for info, and I will have to track down a windows manual.

I've heard of other people having problems installing XP on sata drives. You could post on

http://forums.2cpu.com

I know you don't have a a dulie, but they are knowledagble people.

Back