Serial numbers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

ok a friend of mine jsut got a great deal on an eg hatch with a blown b16a. now it has a salavge title and he wanted to know what types of things he will have to go threw with the inspection. the motor that will b going into it is a 1gen b16. now this is where i get confused because i was told that all jdm motors dont have vins, but the one we have does (we know its not a us cuz its cable and it said it was made in 89) its a clean motor bought it from another friend but he lost the original papers. so i want to knwo for everyone out there that has a jdm b16a do you have a vin on the block. i also heard that if it has one they used alot of the same #s so there could be two dif b16 that have the same # is this true? also if you have any salvage title info let me know.

edit for every time i said vin i ment serial. thank you b.p. so i need info bout those instead

hhhmmmmm i didnt think of that one. even if its wire up as obd1? not just using the obd1 ecu but the whole engine and car harness.

My mind is on cars so much, I refer to the serial numbers on everything as VINs.

Emissions testing ONLY cares about the years of a motor, not the ECU or whether or not it actually scores lower emissions.

But I didn't know that was a federal thing. I know CT and CA have those stipulations.

Quoted post[/post]]
VIN numbers aren't stamped anywhere on the engine. Serial numbers are.

no, huh?

DSC00303.JPG

what do you call that then? :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
hhhmmmmm i didnt think of that one. even if its wire up as obd1? not just using the obd1 ecu but the whole engine and car harness.

when i bought the hatch, i had to go through inspection. they check the vin on the firewall to the one in the door sticker to the one on the dash board.

he never even looked at my motor... which was a jdm gsr.

there is something like 36 vin number locations hidden in and around your car... i used to have a chart of the locations of 24 of them. Weird ones like stamped in the wheel well, and under your rain guards.

damn b...owned him pretty hard...need a emoticon of someone getting reemed in the ass.

A car that is branded with a "Salvage" title cannot be rebuilt and re-registered in Rhode Island. It has to be a "Rebuildable" title....
Anything thats "Salvage" in RI, is only good for parts...

I know CT has the 2 different types of titles as well (we get alot of CT cars at our auctions), so you might be up the creek.

-Also if it can be rebuilt, you have to have the original insurance estimate with all the parts that needed to be replaced.

Then you have to buy everything on the estimate (either from a dealer, or from a junkyard) and have it installed by a certified by the state shop.
-Alot of the parts will require VIN's from the original car (air bags, body parts, ENGINES, if they are on the insurance report)

Then you need to go to inspection with all the paperwork (insurance estimate, receipts for the parts, receipt from the shop).

fucking laws :mad:

now what if my boy used to work at a shop but doesnt now and does the work himself? i know that was cool when i did my emitions but this is a little bigger.

b where did you have to go to get it looked at?

well if we cant get this on the road i will have some shit for sale like b16 block cams si tranny seats shit like that. but well see

i think every honda vehicle since 98 (hell, maybe even earlier) has the vin stamped and stickered on every metal removable body part. the 98 accord i had had vin's everywhere. fenders, trunk, doors, body, frame, etc. etc.

Back