serious smoke from exhaust after turbo install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
92 hatch si w/ gsr turbo(revhard stage 2). Cars runs great for the most part. I installed this setup in my buddies civic after building his motor up. everything is new(piston,rods, rings, hone,etc.etc.) 0 miles on the motor when we started. He been running around town everyday trying to put some break in miles on the poor motor so it can go to the dyno. In the last 2 weeks, he been blowing alot of smoke out of his exhaust. Any ideas? I know that black smoke is oil and white/blue is fuel. Its kinda a mixture of both and since we have really nothing to go off of as far as tunning I don't know where anything is set at(fuel pressure, o2 reading). could he have washed his rings out due to too much fueL? any help is much thanks

matt

anything is possible... kinda hard to say yes or no to that over the internet.

i'd check the turbo. if you're blowing smoke, i bet its the turbo leaking. remove the charge pipe- see if its dirty/oily inside. if it is, you're return line is probably wrong, or the pan isn't tapped in the right spot.

in the front, ABOVE the fill line. basically the top most you can go right by the a/c compressor

thats about where it goes but a little more centered in rregaurds to the overall pan. anything else?

black smoke is fuel, blue is oil. Mabey its running a little rich? I know this may not help, but my bros wrx blows a good bit of black smoke when WOT is applied after idle or low speed. I guess it could be the oil lines too though. Check there, and if thats ok, see if you are running it rich. :)

I'm sure the car is running rich to a point right now due to the fact that I have no fucking clure where anything is running as far as A/F. I would rather be rich than lean right now until we get a wide band o2 on the bastard. B- I don't know the size of the feed line. Its whatever came with the kit. The only thing we changed out as far a components to the kit was the oil return setup. Revhard's is cheesy so we decided on a nice AN style setup with marine grade lock hose for the return line.

and commador-you are right about the smoke color- my bad i got shit backwards. Its been a long day already. anything else this could be?

The fuel setups that come with those kits usually tend to run on the rich side for saftey. But I'd check your oil setup like B said, because that could be a major problem if that is whats wrong. It's probably just the lines though, because it is unlikely that a brand new turbo would have bad seals.

Also, since the engine internals were changed, that is probably throwing off the tuning. Hopefully it is just tuning, because if the rings didn't seat properly, or are installed improperly, that is a much bigger problem.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 9 2004, 02:06 PM
Hopefully it is just tuning, because if the rings didn't seat properly, or are installed improperly, that is a much bigger problem.
[post=374381]Quoted post[/post]​

thats what I'm afraid of!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 9 2004, 02:33 PM
this may sound stupid, but check your pcv valve.
[post=374397]Quoted post[/post]​

actually now that I think about it..the PCV valve was left out completely. Also what about the little filter/check valves that come wit the kit? what are they/where do they go?

matt

filter check valves? i'd have to see 'em. they might be vacuum line filters, then might be a check valve/missing link type thing...

hes bringing his car over to my place tonight. i'm gonna go through the things discussed here. BTW-thanks for the help guys. I know how to build cars and motors, i'm just still a little new to the fI thing. kinda diggin it though. I love learning

matt

Every turbo honda I've seen blows excess carbon out under a load. Normally letting off the gas. that's normal with turbo set ups because they run a little rich so when they are under "boost" they have the fuel needed to whip some talon booty. But you should have everything in the kit installed before running it. Make sure you DON'T run sythetic oil too.

Rob
Primetimeimports

Alright, as far as the oil return line goes, it is approx. .5" down from the top lip (where it attaches to the block and cenetered with the deepest part of the pan. His fuel is a little high on pressure still. does anyone know if the fuel pump rev hard supplies is a piggyback or a replacement pump for the OEM? Also, his car really seems to bog after shifts (at anyRPm below 3000).

thanks again guys.

matt

bogging = too much fuel or too much timing.

check the base timing... should be at 16*
from there, its up to the rev hard shit that came with it.

*cough* sell it and get hondata *cough*

obviously this s not a stock pan, but thats the exact position you want the tap to be in (top right one.. lower left is for an oil temp gauge)

DSC00270.JPG

Originally posted by robspeed005@Aug 14 2004, 08:56 PM
Make sure you DON'T run sythetic oil too.

Why's that? I've used synthetic oil before with no problems.

not on break in.

the first 50 miles AT LEAST shoudl be done on old school oil. EVERY piston, ring, and block builder will tell you the same thing.

Back