serious smoke...help quick!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lil_red_rex

i do body work!
i never really talked about it but.....when i did a headgasket set on my crx (d16a6) it still smoked...the only thing i stupidly did not change is my valve seals....when i first turn my car on....it only smokes condinsation ( quickly disapearing water burn) but when it gets warmed up....it starts blowin smoke....when i drive it and am constantly on the gas...the car fills up with smoke...the smoke is blue so i know it is oil..it aslo only comes out of the exhaust...not the motor....but could it be my vavleseals? or something more serious:confused:

its probably your rings unfortunately

usually a valve seal leak will result in more smoke at startup reducing over time...
little smoke at startup leading to more smoke over time is prob not gonne be your valves seals...

if i accidently filled my motor with a lil too much oil...will that cause it to smoke too?

define a little?
lmao

something about this is not adding up
do you have an exhaust leak?
your car should not be filing with smoke unless 1. you are burning a lot of oil and have an exhaust leak under your car, or 2. you motor is leaking oil down onto the exhaust somewhere and thats causing the smoking that getting into your car...

overfiling your motor with oil could be making the motor push it out onto the exhaust...?

another problem with overfiling is the crank will spin in the oil chruning it into a froth from hell, ultimately leading to oil starvation... oil starvation wears anything with friction.. ie: bearings, walls, and of course rings...
so overfiling can lead to your motor smoking, but i'd be a little more worried about the lower end blowing apart than the smoking situation...

i never really talked about it but.....when i did a headgasket set on my crx (d16a6) it still smoked...the only thing i stupidly did not change is my valve seals....when i first turn my car on....it only smokes condinsation ( quickly disapearing water burn) but when it gets warmed up....it starts blowin smoke....when i drive it and am constantly on the gas...the car fills up with smoke...the smoke is blue so i know it is oil..it aslo only comes out of the exhaust...not the motor....but could it be my vavleseals? or something more serious:confused:

did you do the headgasket to try to stop the smoking in the first place?

i would drain it and refill it with the right amount of oil if you think that could be it.

second, i would look towards the piston rings. sounds like a lot of work to me. get your tools ready.

i got teh headgasket because it was mixing oil in the coolant and it was barely smoking.....after i did it it stoped mixing for good....but smoked....i dunno what is causeing this....but ill drain and refill to make sure....but when i was finihsed with the gasket in march....it smoked when i drove it up untill now still.....if i gotta do the rings...i have a set of hastings in my basement brand new that i never had use for....but i guess i doo now....ill have to get new rod bearings too right? i might as well do a rebuild now considering today was my last day of skoo....oh well....ill check some stuff out and tell you all whats up

You don't have to do rod bearings, but definitely inspect them upon removal. Also, for your sake, don't go through all of the trouble of ringing it without taking piston and cylinder measurements and comparing them to specs. I would go through the engine completely if I were you to keep from having to pull the thing apart a third time in the near future.

definately souds like you pistom rings man...to be burning that much oil its got to be seaping out of somewhere

Back