serious swap suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gooch

hey whats up guys,
ok i have finally saved up enough for one swap, question is which car to put it in. i have an 98 ex. now my question is i really REALLY would like to get the b16a sir2 swap done to my ex, is it really that much a pain in the ass to put the obd 1 into a obd 2 car? i will be getting a full and complete swap, either from JDMswap.com or a similar source, im assuming it will include the del sol tranny. or should i just save my pennies and throw an obd 2 b18c into there, but i would much rather spend the extra k on some internals or a nice header-back. maybe ill just buy a 89 crx and all my problems will be solved :p

ahh thank you so much for the info. im getting excited all over again hehe :D
one more question tho now that i think about it, i want to get a jdm motor because of the added performance over the usdm motors. now i will be having the swap done at a local shop and it will be done in A+ fashion. will a jdm motor pass emissions, with say a high flow cat (greddy evo is my first choice for header-back system)

No he is wrong. Since you have a OBD2 Chassis, you can only put an OBD2 in there without alot of work. Those conversion wiring harnesses are so you can run an OBD2 engine in an OBD2 chassis but have an OBD1 style ECU. This is so you can run Hondata engine management. They do make an OBD2 b16. This came in the Civic SI in the states. Get an OBD2 b16.

Edit for the second question. Yes JDM engines can pass Cali emissions if you put the USDM emmission controls on it. What are they? I have no fucking clue because Cali blows, I dont live there, so I could give a rats ass about there emissions stuff.

Stop the madness!!! SiR and SiRII are trim levels, not generations. You can get a B16A from either, in OBD I or OBD II. All you have to do, is when you order it from the place you're going to order it from, tell them you need the 96-98 B16A.

ok ok now im confussed. the B16A2 SIR-II comes in obd 2???????????? hmm is this true? :huh: and no offense but i would like somthing more powerfull than the 160 hp b16a, the sir2 is the 170 which is right where i wanna be. i could go for the obd2 96+ b18c1, but i would rather spend my saved grand on internals, or am i gonna find myself paying about the same for the harder swap. anyone have any links or pics of someone with a sir2 swap in a 6th gen?

The b16 has kinda 5 diffrent models. The b16a(1) (has a few veriations) It was the OBD0 b16. All the OBD0 where cable transmissions. Then there is the b16a3 which has 160 hp(us version) then the b16a (obd1) which is commanly refered to as a b16sirII. It has a tad higher compression and has 170 hp. Then there is the b16a (obd2) which is the JDM b16a2. Again 170hp. Then there is the b16a2, which is 160hp. All the obd1 and 2's had hydralic transmission.

Ok, I know you want to put in a b16, well in my opinion the b16 has just to little torque, save up you money and put a b18c1 in. If your like some of the other b16 fanatics out there than buy the b16a3, Believe me that extra 10 hp isnt that big of a difference, and peice together a turbo kit wit whatever you have left. Then again it's your car and your choice.

Back