:( SES light :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You can't even scan them.
then how exactly did mike hook up his scan tool and find out that it was throwing a code for the bank 2 downstream O2 sensor?????????

then how exactly did mike hook up his scan tool and find out that it was throwing a code for the bank 2 downstream O2 sensor?????????

What scanner did he use? I have an Ethos and it will not scan BMW.

Here is a better question... What engine is in his m3?
And what was the code it gave when he scanned it?

Last edited:
Okaye, now what is the exact code that the scanner pulled? Starts with a "P".
Also, if you know the conditions of when the code came on, that would be helpful as well.

I don't want that. I want the code.

dont remember the code... im not the one who checked it
i just happened to be there having a cigarette while mike was scanning it
need more info talk to him

Ok. From my understanding, you need bmw scan tools to properly scan a bmw.

Well, like 6 posts prior, I said you cannot scan bmw's, meaning MY scan tools wont scan them. The dealership or BMW specific scan tools (expensive) can only be used.

all of you except for eric and blanco are retarded.

my scan tool wont scan a bimmer either, but we've already determined the problem. why argue about it ladies?

well if you didn't have a cheap ass scanner it would scan a bmw. i didn't cheap out and i can scan any car i want with mine. solus FTMFW. And i scanned it a week ago so sorry i don't remember the exact code number it threw. if you would like i can go scan it again tonite if b is home just so i grace you with a response as to what code it is. bottom line is i have scanner that works and found out what the problem is.

Solus is a $4000 scanner, without European. I have an Ethos (personal) and a Modis at the shop. The modis starts at $7000. As for European (like bmw), you need to buy the communicator for it to scan. Part Number EEMS320C04, from SnapOn. These things arent cheap, especially when your shop doesnt do a lot of diagnostics on BMW.

As for other manufacturers, like Asian/domestic, if obd2 you can use a $100 OTC scan tool, look the code up in alldata/chiltons and fix it that way. Scanners are over-rated to me. Real mechanics dont need a $4000 scanner to find out what a code is. But in your case, with bmw, it is needed.

There is no money in diagnostics, period. A scan tool of that nature is not needed unless you own your own shop. It will never pay for itself.

Last edited:
If it was a recall, it would be on a Bulletin.

didnt i just post the damn bulletin????

it clearly says on the bulletin (that i just posted)
"Service Engine Soon" light is illuminated and some of the following oxygen sensor faults codes may be stored in the DME fault memory
oh look O2 sensor codes
then it goes on to say
On a customer complaint basis only, clear fault memory and reprogram DME using DIS CD 38.0 or higher

on a customer complaint basis only... that means that it is not a full blown recall, it is just a known issue.

all he needs to do is go to BMW and get the update and he will be fine

Back