Settin The Timing Belt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

I was just wondering when i did my timing belt i matched all the lines up but then i released the timing belt tensioner on my h22 and rotated it counter clock wise.. than i rechecked them and it was than off! Do i have to maybe restart and maybe move the cam gear a bit so than the two cams gears dont match up when i dont have tension on the belt and after i release them they than match up to one another! Sorry if this doesnt make the best sense but bear with me

put everything to TDC.. keep the tensioner loose.. then slide that bitch on and tighten the tensioner.

if it's still off then maybe you have the wrong belt??

also, make sure the belt has no slack at all where it faces towards the front of the car, the slack should be on the side towards the rear of the car, then tighten the tensioner pulley.

Why does the #1 cylinder have to be at top dead center when you put on the new belt? And how do you tighten the timming belt correctly?

Originally posted by Frank_Li@Jun 10 2003, 04:05 PM
Why does the #1 cylinder have to be at top dead center when you put on the new belt? And how do you tighten the timming belt correctly?

just makes it easier, so that the arrows of the cam gears point up when putting the belt back on, otherwise the cam gear arrows would have to point in another direction depending on what cylinder is at TDC. to tighten the timing belt, loosen and tighten the tension pulley.

Its sounds so easy... but on the h22 the timing belt tensioner is way diffrent! To loosen it you must take it all the way off... put it in a vice take the top off it use a small screw driver and turn it so it compresses than put it in a little jig that comes with a new one! POS

Well i guess you dont have to worry about getting the thing to be the right tension because its on an autotensioner system! Thats a plus i guess! But i have one more question! When i turned the motor counter clock wise about ten times the timing belt came off the cam gears about a 1/16 of an inch! is that normal and will go away when i start running the car? Thanks

Back