Setting Timing h22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

Hey I was just wondering where u set the timing at on the h22 and how you know exactly were it should be. I kind I figure the mark on the flywheel has to be aligned with the other mark. I sound like a total tard becuase Im going off this by memory. or should you advance it or retard it slightly.

There is a rubber cap on the tranny, mark is on flywheel, that is all. no mark on crank pully.
I remember the first time i checked mine- it was at fuckin 6, sposed to be at around 14-16

I mean I know how you go about timing it and where it is but im unsure exactly how you tell its timed right!

if u have a timing light it will tell you what it currently is at. lower is retarted and higher is advanced. Are u asking what the timing numbers mean?

Oh... the book says +-2 from 15. u have to have a gun that actually tells u the numbers and u adjust the distributor and then the gun will tell u differant reading.

wooo I must have an old timing light than.. Mines just the old strobe type! I just aligned it with the mark on the flywheel and if i remember right there was another mark in there. I really sound retarded but I havent done this for about a year. And I recently changed my distributor and didnt reset the timing.

Originally posted by Accordturbo94@Feb 3 2004, 02:02 AM
wooo I must have an old timing light than.. Mines just the old strobe type! I just aligned it with the mark on the flywheel and if i remember right there was another mark in there. I really sound retarded but I havent done this for about a year. And I recently changed my distributor and didnt reset the timing.

so basically Im idling high. and my vtec isnt kicking in all the time!

It is beyond me how the hell u use those... maybe u count the number of flashes in one minute or something

If i were u id either go get one for $20 or go to a shop and maybe they will do it for free or pay them 20 bucks.

If it was not timed perfectly obviously it will play with how it idles... but would it not let vtec enage all the time. I swear sometimes it will kick in and other times it wont.. but than again that could be something else

i would think that since it is so advanced or retarted that basically your engine is scared to go into VTEC and hurt itself so the ecu wont let it. check your oil to.

The timing being off isn't going to affect your idle as much as it will your overall power output. If the spark plugs aren't firing when each of the pistons hit TDC (which is what will be happening if your timing is off), you won't be optimizing your engine's potential. I don't think it would affect VTEC engaging, however.

Back