Setup Complete

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RFHOMI2U

I have just completed my home-made turbo setup on my Z6 (specs listed below). I will try to post some pics soon. I am still waiting for my 5g radiator to come in (it's smaller because my big crx one hits the turbo). The turbo is a T03 from a turbo sundance with 12,000 mi. .42 A/r. I am going to be running stock wastegate at 7psi daily. How long do you think it will last? The only fuel management I have is a V-AFC which I was told should work kinda well. The motor should hold right? I was told it will. The motor pretty much stock other than than a few bolt-ons. Just post your thoughts! I havn't driven it yet cuz of the radiator, but hopefully everything will be ok.

Make sure to replace the mid-pipe on the exhaust. The stock diameter (inner) is just over 1" Otherwise, the system should be way cool. With that low a boost level, I'd consider removing the intercooler. There will be a 1-2 psi drop using it and lag will be greater. 7psi doesn't heat the air much anyways. Try it with and then bypassed, you'll notice a difference. Tune it well before it gets beat on too. Nothing sucks more than doing a bunch of work then having to do a bunch more.

DO NOT remove the intercooler. that's the stupidest idea ever. Yes, you will loose a psi or two, but you can always run a boost controller and trick the wastegate.

colder air = more power, less detonation

why would you want hot air = less power, more detonation

The majorety of turbocharged cars (low pressure) came without factory intercoolers. Until you run more boost the intercooler won't give you more power. Please direct me to the tech article that shows an intercooler making power on a setup under 8lbs of boost, please. At boost pressures of 8 psi and above its a great idea to run an intercooler due the rapid increase in charge air temps. Just an opinion, but you may want to do some research before listening to any of us. That would include real tech article reading. :slap:

Don't think of an intercooler as a power-adder it just lets you use the turbos power more efficiently by keeping it as cold as possible. I believe the reason most cars didn't come intercooled is because it wasn't cost efficient.

an intercooler is not for power- its for protection against detonation.

frankly, i'd rather be a hair slower and safer

:werd: :withstupid:
Also don't forget that it is hard to blow air across an intercooler while on a dyno to imitate 80+ MPH! Even at low boost the intercooler will cool the intake charge while driving in REAL conditions. Keep the intercooler on because you know in the future you will increase the boost!

7 PSI WITH Intercooler > 7 PSI with NO Intercooler

An Intercooler WILL make MORE Horsepower at 7 PSI than non-intercooled at 7 PSI

DUH! :slap:

I'd like to see the opinion of someone who has run a low boost setup with and without intercooling. Agreed that charge air temps do matter in power production, but my argument is that the charge air temps aren't that much different if intercooled, maybe 20-30 degrees. at that low boost level the charge air temp difference and increased lag associated with the intercooler would offset each other. In addition, with a well-tuned a/f mixture, 7psi should be a safe boost level no matter the ambient temps.

Originally posted by RFHOMI2U@Jun 8 2003, 10:04 AM
I have just completed my home-made turbo setup on my Z6 (specs listed below). I will try to post some pics soon. I am still waiting for my 5g radiator to come in (it's smaller because my big crx one hits the turbo). The turbo is a T03 from a turbo sundance with 12,000 mi. .42 A/r. I am going to be running stock wastegate at 7psi daily. How long do you think it will last? The only fuel management I have is a V-AFC which I was told should work kinda well. The motor should hold right? I was told it will. The motor pretty much stock other than than a few bolt-ons. Just post your thoughts! I havn't driven it yet cuz of the radiator, but hopefully everything will be ok.

how much did you pay for your dsm sidemount?
where did you get it from?

how much did it cost for the custom piping....pipes and the cost to bend it?

thanks

Originally posted by hondaguy72@Jul 18 2003, 10:46 AM
I'd like to see the opinion of someone who has run a low boost setup with and without intercooling. Agreed that charge air temps do matter in power production, but my argument is that the charge air temps aren't that much different if intercooled, maybe 20-30 degrees. at that low boost level the charge air temp difference and increased lag associated with the intercooler would offset each other. In addition, with a well-tuned a/f mixture, 7psi should be a safe boost level no matter the ambient temps.

5.5psi Un-intercooled here.

i agree with you completely on this one......

Back