setup d16z6 in my hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleepercivic69

ok i got the motor in the car. i have obd0 inj, obd0 dizzy and an obd0 ecu(pr3). i also have the dizzy and inj for the motor but i dont have an ecu for it. how should i have this setup to run just until i can fully convert to obd1?

Well, as long as your all plugged up, I don't know why it wouldn't run?
I was serious...
sleepercivic69 said:
obd0 inj, obd0 dizzy and an obd0 ecu(pr3)
You can run your engine with this setup ok. It won't run best, but it will start and run fine... A P28 ecu will run best, which is designed for the engine.

Just make sure of just a few things-
-Map sensor is moved off the firewall onto the top of the throttle body
-4 wire o2 sensor is wired/plugged in.*
-VTEC is wired in(just 2 wires.)*

*When you switch over to OBD-1(P28 ecu), buy the Boomslang Harness, and it will come pre-wired with the extra 8 wires- 4 for o2, 2 for vtec, 1 for IAB and 1 for knock. IAB and Knock sensors are NOT used on D series.

All you'll need to do when you get the new ECU and Harness in, is just plug and play.
You'll need to remove the 6 wires you ran for the obd0 ecu, and slip the new wires into place.

i dont know why either. i put the obd0 injectors back in with the resistor box, kept the z6 dizzy, with a pr3 ecu. i dunno what else to do.

I would suggest just buying the P28 and harness.. Just do it right.
PR3's sell quickly, and you might be able to trade straight up for a P28, so you only have to front the cash for the harness.

wait a minute, in your earlier reply you said the MAP sensor has to come off the firewall? did i read that right. i know one end is to the TB but what about the other?

TPS is on the wiring harness, which is what most people on their first time z6 swap(me included) think is the Map sensor.

The MAP sensor is on the TOP of the Throttle Body. The TPS is on the backside.

You can see in this picture how it's supposed to be. (I'm really sorry about the quality. it was taken a long time ago with a crappy camera.)

MAPsensorin.jpg

Man... in the days before the wire-tuck...

Last edited:
you can run the map sensor on the firewall if you keep your stock intake manifold or throttle body, you can also run that engine off a pm6 with no vtec, or convert to obd1 and run the p28 like stated previous

I think he has the z6 intake mani, in which case he would need to do so.

You just need to do it right homie.

P28 ecu
THIS boomslang harness.
Z6 distributor.
& move the map sensor to the TB.

Thats it.

The obd-0 motors have it mounted on the firewall.
The obd-1 D16Z6 has it mounted on the Throttle Body.

Simple as that. You have to do it for the car to run, if your running obd-1.

ok i see. ok well i got my boomslang harness today and when i went to hook it up i noticed that the wire to my vtec pressure switch is missing?!! would i just have to run a wire straight to the ecu pin?

Used:

White, Yellow, Grey, and Orange for o2 sensor.

Light Green for VTEC Solenoid Signal.
Light Blue
for VTEC Oil Pressure Switch

A total of 6 wires are used in the D16z6 engine swap.

Unused:

Pink
for the IAT (Secondary Intake Runners)
Red
for the Knock Sensor.

These are only used on B-series swaps.

I hope my color coordination helps... I sure tried to make it simple and preeeety...
-Andrew

hey man thanks for the info! i called boomslang and told them my situation. well since i got that vafc obd1 harness it doesnt need a wire to the pressure switch cause the vafc intercepts that. i was relieved!

ok im waitin for my TB with map sensor so HOPEFULLY i can get this thing running!!!!

Back