Setup i'm workin on... Opinions please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aight here goes

i have a 90 CRX HF...(woo... slow) can't even get outta its own way, i actually think a cat ran faster than me once.. <_< hehe

i'm about to order and put on the following i just wanted to see what u guys thought

i have:
d16a6 head that is PnP and milled to raise comp about .2:1
si TB
5th gen ex header (4-2-1)
si transmission

Going to Order
tokiko ilumina's (car needs new suspension anyway.. so what the hell right?)
Eibach prokit springs
Exedy organic racing clutch w/ 1600 lb pressure plate
ACT 11lb flywheel
ZC camshaft (the SOHC cam)
AEM cam gear
AEM CAI intake
NX "incognito" sneak kit (gonna see how it goes on a dry 55 shot)
High flow cat
Apexi SAFC II
i'm also thinking of getting 2" piping for the exhaust to keep what Tq i have in check

when all that crap is on i wanna get it dyno tuned to make all that money spent worth it....

well lemme know what u guys think... hopefully it won't all go to waste... i'm hoping to hit low 14's maybee high 13's with this setup wich is really all i hope to acheive on a daily summer driver

not going to get 14's with that setup I don't think. Just save a few more dollars and swap in a b series.

b-series, ahhh fooey :rant: what you've got right now has lots of potential. You have a A6 and you picked up the Si tranny, that's a great start right there. If you've got an extra $500 laying around, slap a Z6 head on there. Mini-Me! You'll pick up about another 20-30 hp difference and you're going to have to take the head off anyway when you get it milled, so why not? And if it's your daily driver, you could have the head worked on with little down time too. I like the clutch/flywheel combo you chose, i'm running the Exedy clutch and it has plenty of grabing power and haven't had a problem with it since, best $100 i've spent. Trade in that ZC cam for an aftermarket one for the Z6 head, run a 50 shot, get those AEM parts, and pick up a Apexi VTEC controller instead.....another D-series saved from a life in the corner of a garage. I keep up with B16 powered EG's in my D, and i only spent $800. There's no reason why you couldn't run 14's in a 1800 lb CRX with 170 hp on tap when sqweezing B)

a mini-me conversion MIGHT get you into the 14's if thats what your looking for.

it's NOT worth all the money you're going to spend on that D16.
just start off with B-series so you'll start off with a lot more power and you'll have a lot more potential for future tuning.

Kracer427, i would love to see you keep up with my B16 powered EJ in your D15 powered EG.

i have D-series pride, but i know my limits....no thanks hahaha I'm just saying, for $800 total and keeping up with b16's i'm happy. B16 EJ :axe: ahhhhhhhh! But damn though guys, is it that hard to imagine getting another 30 hp from the 130 i have stock in order for it to be just as good as a B16A swap? :(

Go with a b series swap. D's are dead (sorry Kracer). They have some potential, but nothing compared to the B series. With a b16 you start with 160hp and you can build off that. Its a great motor to turbo, if thats your kinda thing, and its also dohc vtec, a big +. Any time you put a head on an engine that is not meant to run that head, your lowering the life expectancy of the engine. A mini-me, LS/VTEC, or CRVTEC are all good ways to make more power, but will never be as reliable as a stock b series motor.

besides the fact that milling a head to raise compression is the WRONG way to go about things- if you want high compression buy pistons

Originally posted by ktanaka@May 1 2004, 10:38 AM
A mini-me, LS/VTEC, or CRVTEC are all good ways to make more power, but will never be as reliable as a stock b series motor.

if they're built right they can be just as reliable if not more

you are doing the right thing going d. it s all about money. for 30 horsepower the logic just isnt there.mini me + 50 shot + cam + vtec controler = 14's or better. plus if you want more shot, and you happened to blow your motor, than you don't have to replace your overpriced b16 block which would suck. all for just 30 hr off the bat. b series is not worth it. d pride. :p

Originally posted by jdmvteccrx@May 2 2004, 12:54 AM
you are doing the right thing going d. it s all about money. for 30 horsepower the logic just isnt there.mini me + 50 shot + cam + vtec controler = 14's or better. plus if you want more shot, and you happened to blow your motor, than you don't have to replace your overpriced b16 block which would suck. all for just 30 hr off the bat. b series is not worth it. d pride. :p

that was my thouht on it all....i'm not really putting much money into the D block at all..... and it'll hopefully do well.... my roomate has a GSR sol... and if i beat that or hold close then its obvious i spent my money wisely...... and in the mean time i can save all that money and one day when the motor does go.... i can have a fully built redy to go b-series redy to go....

just to let evreryone know what i ran.... i ran a 14.7 at 93 mph with a 2.697 60ft

i'm definatly not Extremely happy with the setup... its decent.. but not as good as i wanted...

what was in it when it ran

Si head milled to 9.3:1 - port and polish
Si TB
Si Tranny
Aem Intake
Aem Cam gear - retarded 2 deg
Excedy stage 1 organic clutch
ACT 11lb flywheel
5th gen EX 4-2-1
Racing (high flow) cat
straight 2" piping cat back (slight bend to go out right side of car over axel)
Tokico Illumina (set to 5 all around)
Eibach Pro kit
SAFC - put to 20% high throtle across the board

NX sneaky peat kit running a 41 nozzle(75 shot i do beleive)
i also have a complaint about the sneak kit.... there is only enough pressure in it to run 1 maybee 2 good runs after that its not up to par.... aside from the lines freezing and such... but the pressure problem is really a pain

so that how it did... this summer i plan to collect some new forged rods, pistons, piston rings (der) and crank along with a racing crank pulley and sell that sneaky kit and get a direct port kit for next year...... maybee i'll even get enough $$ to boost in instead... but that would require sleeving :) we'll seeeee i hope to be in the 12's by the end of next year

Originally posted by ktanaka@May 1 2004, 10:38 AM
With a b16 you start with 160hp and you can build off that. Its a great motor to turbo, if thats your kinda thing, and its also dohc vtec, a big +. .

get a LS swap and turbo that ... cheaper than the b16 and u get a whole .2 displacement ... i hate turboed b16s sorry

Originally posted by turboB20hatch+May 22 2004, 10:04 PM-->
@May 1 2004, 10:38 AM
With a b16 you start with 160hp and you can build off that. Its a great motor to turbo, if thats your kinda thing, and its also dohc vtec, a big +. .

get a LS swap and turbo that ... cheaper than the b16 and u get a whole .2 displacement ... i hate turboed b16s sorry

well, turbo b16s hate you too. so it's even. ;)

dont even ask anyone here for opinions on non gsr/type-r build ups because thats the only opinion your going to get. I think your plan sounds great for the amount of money you have.

Originally posted by ckyhimself@May 22 2004, 09:45 PM
just to let evreryone know what i ran.... i ran a 14.7 at 93 mph with a 2.697 60ft

i'm definatly not Extremely happy with the setup... its decent.. but not as good as i wanted...

what was in it when it ran

Si head milled to 9.3:1 - port and polish
Si TB
Si Tranny
Aem Intake
Aem Cam gear - retarded 2 deg
Excedy stage 1 organic clutch
ACT 11lb flywheel
5th gen EX 4-2-1
Racing (high flow) cat
straight 2" piping cat back (slight bend to go out right side of car over axel)
Tokico Illumina (set to 5 all around)
Eibach Pro kit
SAFC - put to 20% high throtle across the board

NX sneaky peat kit running a 41 nozzle(75 shot i do beleive)
i also have a complaint about the sneak kit.... there is only enough pressure in it to run 1 maybee 2 good runs after that its not up to par.... aside from the lines freezing and such... but the pressure problem is really a pain

so that how it did... this summer i plan to collect some new forged rods, pistons, piston rings (der) and crank along with a racing crank pulley and sell that sneaky kit and get a direct port kit for next year...... maybee i'll even get enough $$ to boost in instead... but that would require sleeving :) we'll seeeee i hope to be in the 12's by the end of next year

How much did you spend total without suspension stuff?

minus the supsension work i probly spent....

Free shit
Free head and intake mani from friend
ECU from my old 4-door

Money
$600 for the HF
$200 for tranny
$500 for clutch and flyweel
$250 for Nitrous kit
$120 for intake
$100 for cam gear

Total:
$1420

i know i coulda bought a b16 and been running the same times....
but when a b16 pulls up to a CRX HF with a intake..... he'll be like... uh??? after i hold him :)

Back