Several hours for valveplay adjustment?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Ok, so I just got my dad's car back from the dealership, and it cost 445EUR for the 120k service. It's an American spec car, and it was serviced here in Germany, but this car was also sold here with the same engine.

What the hell could have taken so long on the 2003 d17a2? The total billed time was 5.5 hours, and all they did was change all the belts, auto transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, and adjust the valves.

Does it really take that long to adjust the valves on this engine? They had my whole car done (and it was the 200k service) in less than 4 hours. What gives?

Last edited:
sounds like you got hosed a little bit, german style

Maybe, but who knows. I like that dealership, the guy pretty much hands me the keys to any car on the lot I want to test-drive while I'm waiting. I think I put like 100 miles on the Legend.

Sounds about right to me. The transmission flush takes about 45 minutes if your experienced with the machine. All flush jobs are considered "gravy" jobs, because they pay a good amount of labor and the actual labor going into it is about 20 minutes. The machines do the rest of the work. Plus the cost of fluids arent cheap these days. You need to sometimes use multiple gallons of ATF for the transmission. If they changed all your belts than that is timely especially when you need to remove accessories to get to the belts and tensioner.

Back