shavin b18a/b connecting rods to fit ITR pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blackdahlia6

its said over and over and over but how does shaving the connecting rods down effect the structural integrity of the rods? to regain the strength that was perhaps lost by taking away metal do most builders shot peen the rods afterwords?

another thing is the balance; does this effect the engine in any way? i would think anybody who is eye balling this shaving couldnt get it perfect and uniform throughout all rods on both sides

any people who have personally done this on an ls/v speak up!;)

I personaly would rather shave the piston 1mm on each side.

or you can buy nippon pistons and not do anything to the rod or piston they fit LS rods.

Personally I would just balance the crank flywheel and crank pulley. thats all you really need.

GSR rods are thin like the ITR/CTR. B16A pistons fit LS rods just fine.

Shaving the rod>shaving piston, because steel is much stronger than aluminum.

When the rods are shaved, the beam is still the same thickness and there's still some width to the PE so the rod is just as strong as before. Most rod failures are at the middle of the beam.

The rods are usually shaved with a machine.

Last edited:
On a Mild build i really dont think it matters. I highly doubt that hes going to blow up a ITR piston on a LSV. Unless hes using a shit ton of nitrous.

i was toying with the thought of building one and just figuring the costs and major machine work needed..like sending the block to get honed and get the rods shaved. p30's yield too high of compression. just worried about if the shaving would weaken if i were to and hit 8500 regularly because having a rev happy mild beast would be the point of me building one

i was toying with the thought of building one and just figuring the costs and major machine work needed..like sending the block to get honed and get the rods shaved. p30's yield too high of compression. just worried about if the shaving would weaken if i were to and hit 8500 regularly because having a rev happy mild beast would be the point of me building one

8500 RPM on stock rods just isnt a good idea. Are you even planning on making power past 8krpm? what cams will you be using??

Back