Shaving Antenae

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

How do I do it? Other than removing the unit, how do I plug the hole? Alos what is involved in painting the side moldings? My dad and I are attempting to do these few steps before I get her painted, but I would like to know before hand. And since Im getting rid of the mast how will I make my radio pick up the channels?

Originally posted by brian11to1@Nov 18 2004, 07:07 PM
How do I do it? Other than removing the unit, how do I plug the hole? Alos what is involved in painting the side moldings? My dad and I are attempting to do these few steps before I get her painted, but I would like to know before hand. And since Im getting rid of the mast how will I make my radio pick up the channels?
[post=418888]Quoted post[/post]​

You can get an antena that will go on your windsheild. I haven't seen any aftermarket ones, but I'm sure they're out there. As for the body work, Asking someone else would be a better idea. Painting the molding is easy though. We shot mine with some kind of primer stuff then with the flat black that we used on the car. Nothing real special and I haven't noticed any chipping or cracking. I still don't know the paint codes we used though...sorry!

My Paint Code is NH-502M (Asturias Gray Metallic - AGM). I plan on mixing a little bit of NH-526M (Flint Black Mettalic) to darken it up a little. Im really worried about the moldings chipping or cracking. It gets real cold here. I also painted the DOHC in my sold molding with Acrylic paint and it all chipped off once it started to get cold. What paint can I use to avoid this?

For the Antenna I was thinking something like this. This is the 2" model. They are sold in an arrangement of sizes, from 1-5". They are only $10 off Ebay. Silver and Black tips.

Carantenna30mmSchwarz.jpg

What do you think?

I was also considering getting an OEM SPoiler from a 94 Acura Vigor and installing it. But I can decided. Im not sure if I like the Wingless look or if I should get one...

As far as shaving it, remove the mast, and unit if its electronic,
Cut a small patch for the hole out of some sheet metal, like 18 gauge(?)
grind the area surrounding the hole with some 36 grit,
grind the patch,
position the patch on the inside of the panel and tack weld it into place (from the outside) and make a series of small tack welds connecting each other but let them cool a bit before you weld again. (if you weld continuously it will warp the panel)
grind your welds flush to the panel
blow dust off
apply bondo
sand
prime
if you need more detailed directions shoot me a IM or PM. My AIM name is xyswany
and 1 vote for wingless.
- a wingless gsr sedan owner :D

Thanks so much for hte help xyswany. Ill definetly be in touch. My fathers original plan was to just like. Fiberglass over the hole... but your method seems more Permanent... lol.

You own a wingless GSR? Or are you referring to me? Cuase my baby aint no GSR... tis too old... GSR's didnt start until 94, mines a 90!!!

no i own a 95 gsr sedan and if i remember correctly you have a 90 teg sedan... don't you? anyway, nix the fiberglass idea, it will end up looking like shit and you'll regret you ever did it.

Originally posted by Nopspawn@Nov 18 2004, 09:36 PM
you could do a hidden antenna like found here
http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=hab
I was thinking of doing that when my antenna broke, but I just decided to fix it.
And also GS-R's started in 92 with the b17's, first vtec to come to america.
[post=418946]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, I know. I was talking about GSR Sedans. So therefore they didnt start until 94. Thank you, come again. But thanks for the link, though.

First VTEC to america? You must be forgetting the NSX?

when i had my 97 Civic, i shaved the antenna and for an antenna so i could listen to radio stations i went to a car stereo shop and got this antenna strip thing that stuck on the inside of your windshield. it was about 3 foot long and about 1/4" wide i think. i ran the wire for it behind the pillar on the passenger side and plugged it into my deck. it picked up stations better than the stock one. i paid like $20 for it and i enjoyed it. :)

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Nov 20 2004, 07:55 PM
when i had my 97 Civic, i shaved the antenna and for an antenna so i could listen to radio stations i went to a car stereo shop and got this antenna strip thing that stuck on the inside of your windshield. it was about 3 foot long and about 1/4" wide i think. i ran the wire for it behind the pillar on the passenger side and plugged it into my deck. it picked up stations better than the stock one. i paid like $20 for it and i enjoyed it. :)
[post=419872]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds like an Idea. But, I like the little nub for an antenna... I dunno. This is a few months away. gotta finish my B20B build first, eh?

Back