1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving rain rails and door handles

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by drpenguin, Nov 30, 2004.

1. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

I want to shave the rain rails and the door handles on my 89 hf rex. Is there any good places out there that show you how? Does anyone know a good kit for my doors to open them for me? Has anyone done this? Any pointers?

2. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

wait three days and i will have the full right up done for you

3. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

depends on how you're gonna do it. I've done it several ways. I've done it the semi half assed way with fiberglass and bondo and I've done it the right way with welding. Welding is the better choice, it will last longer.

When I did it with fiberglass I used about 6 layers of it so it was kinda strong and it stayed put and never cracked even after the accident, it bent with the door.

I advise against shaving the rain rails, it looks decent but those are actaully functional during the rain. It's your car, so when hcivic does his write up, go for it.

4. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

still working away on it got about 2 pages left to go

5. swanny

swanny Senior Member

nix the rain rail idea. try searching for "shaving" im sure there has been about 10 threads with knowledgeable replies.

6. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

i like the rain gutter shaved. ya they are functional but what the hell looks before function

7. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

Yeah i plan on welding, dont know shit about fiberglass except they put it on boats. My rex is far from a boat although i have almost made it one a few times. but yeah whats the worse that can happen if i shave my rails?

8. swanny

swanny Senior Member

You risk cracking if not done properly. you permanently remove a functional item from your car, odds are you are going to wish you didn't do it down the road. Unless this is your "show car" and you are dead set on this idea I would advise against it, many of us started modifying cars appearance wise and grew out of it quickly, once we found horsepower. :)

9. drpenguin

drpenguin Senior Member

Horse power is all fine but im not trying to make up form something like alot of people that supe up there cars. Not saying everyone is but most people are. I know it doesnt matter what the car looks like its whats under the hood. Not all people understand all these little things we do to our cars makes them diffrent. I like being diffrent thats why i mod. You wanna be the same put your money into your motor. Im putting mine into a paint job!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted