1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shift Knob rattle?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Harms Way, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way Senior Member

I recently purchased and installed a B&M Short Shifter. The installation went smooth as it could have gone. I had help from my dad who is pretty familiar with cars considering he grew up racing/building on them. During which, NEW bushings were provided AND installed. Anycrap, I dont know EXACTLY where the noise/rattle comes from. Either the shift knob itself or the entire shifter. It only rattles when I am not on the gas. For instance, if i am on the highway and i am just cruising and i let off the gas without hitting brakes to slow down a little, it rattles. it does NOT do it when the car is in neutral at anytime, rolling or standing still. I was thinking of buying a heavier shift knob, maybe thats the cause. I am certain that the installatiopn of the B&M went smooth correct because it came with directions that we followed to a "T". Thanks for anyones input.

2. 90crxb18

90crxb18 Senior Member

if you hold it does it stop?

3. Harms Way

Harms Way Senior Member

YES, if i hold it, it stops. I don't even HAVE to HOLD it persay. I can just place my finger on it ad it quits. Tell me whyyyyyy :(

4. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

dumb question: is the shift knob screwed in/on tightly? that could cause rattling if its not sitting on the shifter properly.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way Senior Member

yes, the shift knob is tightened ALL the way down. Thats the same question my dad asked me and i went and made sure it was. I tightened it till i couldn't anymore using my hands and without srtipping it. And there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :ph34r:

6. 96IntegGSR

96IntegGSR Member

my dc sports short shifter does the same thing

7. Projectzc

Projectzc Senior Member

The reason it rattles is because it and the knob you are useing are lighter then stock. When the factory designs the shifter and knob they are balanced in weight in order to reduce vibration. And stay quite for normal consumers. When you upgrade for preformance the luxuray of no vibration goes out the door. All shifters I have seen vibrat and make noise. If you use a heavery shift knob it will reduce the vibration. I have a short shifter with a Type R billet knob and there is very little vibration noise but it is still there.

8. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

hmmmm, that's sounds like a load of malarky to me- haha just kidding homie- ya know, before i cut back my girlfriends heatshield in her integra the short throw was rattling against it- just an idea?

9. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

my old stock shifter did that. it was the heat shield underneith. i tore it off and no more rattle for me.

10. sleepercivic

sleepercivic Senior Member

It may be rubbing on the exhaust itself, since the short shifter hangs lower than the stock, just a thought

11. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

That's what mine does. Rattles on the exhaust. Nothing to do but keep your hand on it.

12. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

thats just what shitty short shifters do

no problems with my skunk2 :)

13. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

No problems at all with my DC Sports shifter.

14. eml1618

eml1618 Member

Sometimes if it's rubbing on the heatshield or exhaust section a muffler shop can bend the hanger slightly to shift contact point away from the butt end of the shifter. Thats what we did in my friends civic.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted