shift linkage!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

What idiot would design a shift linkage like that. I have been trying to hammer that pin out for the last 45 minutes. Does anyone know any tricks to remove this thing??? I was thinking that it would be easier to hammer it out from the top, but there's no way to get to it that way. Any info appreciated. Thanks!

use a bolt thats the same width of the pin so it puts pressure on the whole pin in stead of the inside walls or one side. then hammer the shit out of it. thats how i pound them out and it works everytime....good luck

I actually used a metal punch that tapers down to a small flat end roughly the size of the bitch pin and hammered on that for about 5 minutes. It surprised the hell out of me that it came out so quick.

i used an old door hinge pin. its the perfect size. if you dont have one i think an 1/8th inch drift will do the trick. if its really giving you trouble, spray some lube on it and let it sit for a few minutes, then pound the crap out of it.

i just used a pin, hit it hard and it popped out, is it still in the car, if your doing a swap leave that fucker on until you pull the engine out

What idiot would design a shift linkage like that.

Ummm, yea..Honda

BTW it's actually a very efficient way of doing it, how the fuck would u expect to pull that fucker out from the shifter...not gonna happen, you'll break the shifter before that linkage comes out.

you now know why they call it the "bitch pin"

but yeah like everyone else said .... spray it with some lube and use a bolt the same diameter as the hole... then just give it a few smacks with a hammer

The last 2 times that I have pulled a honda/acrua engine, is I just disconnected everything except for the bitch pin, then when just pulled the engine with the linkage on. It fits. You may have to lift the engine a little higher or swing the engine off to the side of your engine bay but it will come out. Then pound it out when it is on the hoist. Much easier since you have the engine out.

As for replacing it (once you put your other engine in) Connect the other 3 spots where it bolts up, then put the joint section on the shift fork. This way, your not fighting the linkage to stay in one place. The hardest part of putting it back in is getting it started. Once you start it, it goes in fairly easily.

Hope that helped

Thanks all. I'll try it again today and hopefully have more luck. Thanks!

Back