Shift Lock Sticking on 98 EX Accord Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webthread

I need some help please, I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX with auto, and the shift lock sometimes sticks, and at the worst times. is this an easy fix? has anyone heard of this happening before? thanks

Check the interlock mechanism in the steering column- you could need a new solenoid. Also make sure it's not just a problem with the steering wheel itself locking it out. Wiggle the steering wheel around when you're trying to release the shifter. If you're right at one of the wheel lock points, you could bind up the interlock mechanism. You could also go into your dash and completely bypass the interlock if you wanted to- it just takes one wire jumper.

Thank you for that. I also have one theory, let me know if this makes sense. Since the shifter is designed not to move unless the brake pedal is depressed, is it possible that's what is stuck, something with the brake pedal mechanism not releasing the shifter?

BTW, how do you bypass the jumper. And is there another way to jump the wire if it is the brake thingy I mentioned?

I just wouldn't know what wires to snip/connect.

I don't have the wiring diagram for the Accord- but you can look in a factory service manual and see if you can find a diagram to see what wires to bypass. There should be two wires that are open without the key in place, and connected when the key is in the "on" position. That should be the switch to the shift lock solenoid. If you connect the wires, then the car is always in the "on" state, so you can always shift the lever. You may cause a steady drain on your battery, but at least you won't have to worry about being stuck in park.

If you want to check the brake sensor, there's a little button on a cylinder mounted at the top of the brake lever. You can take a multimeter down there and check to see if the switch is working.

Good luck, and check a manual before you do anything to make sure you don't mess something up!

Back