Shifter is way to loose !!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ej Chief

I installed my Ls/vtec in my Ej Civic. I have one problem i couldnt figure out why the car went in every gear but when in gear and in neutral the shifter lever moves from side to side WAY to much. i had the ls/vtec in my car before and didnt have the problem. I take the tranmission off to replace somethings, slap the linkage back on and i have this problem PLEASE HELP.......

PS. Using stock shitfer.

ES bushings make a difference, now would be a good time to get them.

I assume you have a short shifter, if it's the cheaper ones, use some washers to compensate for the extra space between it and the linkage.

something's loose?

i always had the same issue with mine. none of that fixed it. it was VTEC del sol linkage, ITR tranny, oem shifter... i just dealt with it... it may not have been as bad as what you are describing though

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jan 11 2005, 12:58 AM
im pretty sure the shifter would just fall through without it.
[post=443998]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah well you are wrong. It is held in by the top plate

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jan 11 2005, 09:52 AM
i always had the same issue with mine. none of that fixed it. it was VTEC del sol linkage, ITR tranny, oem shifter... i just dealt with it... it may not have been as bad as what you are describing though
[post=444078]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, it is ridiculous slop. I know because my car is missing the bottom piece right now. The car shifts fine because the vertical alignment is still set, but in order to shift into 5th I basically have to punch the passenger in the leg.

i have the same problem. you get use to it after a while. but, i think the reason mine is so loose is because the pin that connects the linkage to the tranny doesnt fill the holes on the linkage completely.

just get under the car and have someone else wiggle the shifter side to side, and check to see if its just the shifter that is loose or the whole linkage.

you can check the pin that holds one of the linkage to the tranny. my cuzzins crx is like that also. im swappin in a b16 into my ek and i used a nut and bold to hold one of the linkage to the tranny and that happened to me, so i used a stud or pin or whatever you call it and it didnt happen nemore.

I ran into the Same Problem when I did my Swap Basically to get it correct you need to have an experienced welder there. Unless you can weld and know what your doing you remove/add Washers, Nuts, Anything to give you the lenth you need to have it at. You need to have 2 people there one to get under the car and weld it in place and the other needs to be in the seat Holding the Shifter in the Correct position.(Middle Neutral). Also Check to make sure you have that little stud hammered in the Hole that is on the end of the Shift Linkage Near the Tranny. That will keep your Shifter from going everywhere While it is in gear. ( I forget the name of that piece) :( !!!!!!!!!! It took me all of like 4 hours of Welding, Taking off, setting the length, Re-Welding, Taking off, and So on and so forth. Till I got it just right! :)

Back