Shifter Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LordVader

I was driving my son's 92 Civic (5-speed) last night and I noticed that the shifter is REALLY "loose" feeling. That may a bad descriptive but it just seems like it's difficult to find the gears. Actually it feels like something is worn out. Does anyone know if there are any bushings(or anything else) anywhere in the shifter mechanism that can be replaced? Maybe I should replace it with an aftermarket shifter???

both exist. Energy suspension makes a bushing kit, and you can get an aftermarket shifter if you wish.

im a big fan of the skunk2 shifter.

Brian is right once again. Just replace the shifter bushings with the energy suspension shifter bushings and it will feel brand new. I personally like the B&M short shifter.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 12 2004, 11:57 AM
both exist. Energy suspension makes a bushing kit, and you can get an aftermarket shifter if you wish.

[post=401581]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks alot, sol. Does the shifter you mention shorten the throw over the stock one?

tons. its a LOT longer.

but its how pivots work. the pivot point to the bottom is longer, thus reducing the overall throw, but its taller, so your hand is close to the steering wheel for quick right hand from shifter to wheel transititons.

Mine felt like that....and then 5 seconds later the bitch pin fell out while I was driving :lol:

my shifter feels like well used slut. so i have bougth new OEM bushings and hope this will fix it

I have both the Skunk2 shifter and the Energy Suspension Bushings.
and it feels great.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 12 2004, 10:59 AM
Brian is right once again. Just replace the shifter bushings with the energy suspension shifter bushings and it will feel brand new. I personally like the B&M short shifter.
[post=401583]Quoted post[/post]​

I also have the energy suspension shifter bushings and B&M short shifter... feels great.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 12 2004, 04:03 PM
I'm running the ES bushings and a stock shifter in mine- feels really tight and smooth.
[post=401738]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks again to all for your input...

I ordered the Energy Suspension bushing kit yesterday from Jegs. Right at $20 with shipping which I didn't think was too bad.

How big of a job is it to install them, Calesta?

If you've got a floor jack, and the proper tools, less than 20 mins.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 13 2004, 12:02 PM
[post=402100]Quoted post[/post]​

I didn't think it was going to be great big deal....Thanks!

i think the U joint thing on mine is shot. I put mine in gear and I can move the shifter around, cant really "feel" the gears its so loose. I was going to take one from a swap that they didnt use, and cut the u joint out and weld it onto mine.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 12 2004, 10:57 AM

[post=401581]Quoted post[/post]​

werd. i can't wait to get my shifter put in... need to look up these energy suspension bushings too.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 13 2004, 11:02 AM
[post=402100]Quoted post[/post]​

Beat me to it. Easy as pie. :)

unless you build it upside don't, start filing away to make it clear, install it, and realize that you built it wrong, take it out, rebuild it, and put it in again.

but i wouldn't know anything about that

:phear:

DSC00316.JPG

DSC00320.JPG

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Got the ES bushings installed this weekend and WOW! What difference! Thanks for all the help/advice guys...

Back