Shifting after 7000RPM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OldEMaltLiQuoR

I drove a '95 GSR yesterday w/ a dealer.

I tried to shift from 3rd to 4th @ arround 7200 RPM and got kinda jamed. I wasn't able to get in gear until I was arround 6500 RPM.

Now the dealer tells me this is common w/ all VTEC engines. He says that after the VTEC engages, when you hit 7000RPM it becomes difficult to shit to the next gear.

I didn't call him out on it, but I don't see why this should be a problem. Does this mean that if you nearing redline you have to let the RPMs run down before you can shift? Or is more likely that this fucker trying to hide a problem w/ the car?

He also told me that its not a good idea to engage VTEC in second gear, which I think is total bullshit.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe you're not pushing the clutch in all the way, and maybe your synchronizers are starting to fail. I shift at 8000 in every gear, and I have no problems.

Originally posted by CRVTEC+Dec 13 2004, 01:06 PM-->
Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Dec 13 2004, 10:33 AM
whats teh damage come to total so far?
[post=431270]Quoted post[/post]​

what damage?
[post=431294]Quoted post[/post]​

reckedracing
@Dec 13 2004, 01:27 PM
vtec = engine
shifting = trans

and BULLSHIT card plays nicely here

:bullshit:
[post=431310]Quoted post[/post]​

exactly or else what would the point of building a motor capable of reving to 10 grand or higher if u had to let the rpm drop of then shift-- it has a clutch.tranny problem most likly

Originally posted by OldEMaltLiQuoR@Dec 13 2004, 12:46 PM
should i be worried...could this be an expensive problem?
[post=431325]Quoted post[/post]​

depends if its under extended warrante but if your syncros are gone it will cost you alot of $$$$ at the dealer....and i would only take it to the dealer because they warrante these kinds of jobs...and the only other place i would recomend is www.gearspeed.com

yeh that dude is full of shit. I wouldn't buy that car unless the dealer fixes the tranny for free, or gives you a new one....
why isnt it good to engage vtec in second...?????
This dealer doesnt know a GSR from a pinto....

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy+Dec 14 2004, 09:17 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Dec 14 2004, 08:38 PM
tell them to put a new tranny on it, or son't even cosnider it. that thing is on its way out.
[post=432218]Quoted post[/post]​

my buddys was doing that same thing .. its not the synchros ... the synchro's will let it go into gear but it will grind ... its actually the throught out bearing and or pressure plate.. my buddys was having the same prolly had a new cylinder put in still did it and then i installed a stage 1 cltuch pressure plate flywheel and through out bearing and it has never had a problem since them .. im pretty sure it was the bearing itself .. and his fluid looke like it had never been changed
[post=432239]Quoted post[/post]​

How does a throwout bearing keep a car from going into gear, exactly?

That's the joy of vtec, being able to shift from 3-4 or 4-5 and still be in vtec after your shift. That dealers trying to work ya for his mortgage. That gsr's slower than a ls if you have to drop a grand before shifting, wack.

It could also be worn engine/tranny mounts if the engine rocks back to far it will have problems shifting..

Originally posted by OldEMaltLiQuoR+Dec 13 2004, 05:31 PM-->
Now the dealer tells me this is common w/ all VTEC engines. He says that after the VTEC engages, when you hit 7000RPM it becomes difficult to shit to the next gear.

He is a complete moron that knows nothing about cars.

OldEMaltLiQuoR
@Dec 13 2004, 05:31 PM
He also told me that its not a good idea to engage VTEC in second gear, which I think is total bullshit.

VTEC and second gear are like peanut butter and jelly. Second is one of the sweetest VTEC gears.

Find dealer and punch him in throat repeatedly until breathing stops.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 6 2005, 05:44 AM-->
OldEMaltLiQuoR
@Dec 13 2004, 05:31 PM

VTEC and second gear are like peanut butter and jelly. Second is one of the sweetest VTEC gears.

Find dealer and punch him in throat repeatedly until breathing stops.
[post=441909]Quoted post[/post]​

lol. very funny man....i bought the car about 3 weeks ago...i've been having other problems with it (SRS & maintenance lights, and registration) ... but the VTEC is more than fine.

I took it out on the (deserted) ocean pkwy a few days ago and really let it open up. I think i must have had the biggest smile on my face. Got her up to 125mph. I love this F*n car... and I'm sure I'll love it more once I make it mine and take care of the timing belt/fuel pump.

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 13 2004, 10:32 AM
He doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe you're not pushing the clutch in all the way, and maybe your synchronizers are starting to fail. I shift at 8000 in every gear, and I have no problems.
[post=431313]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL your as bad as me :D can you say second gear chirp on 17's :p 8k is one tasty RPM range

shit with my new final drive i find myself shifting at around 8.5-9k woops! :) i dont drive the honda enough, hehe

Back