Shifting Habits/Techniques

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xkwzt21

One of the guys on the OhioHondas posted the following and i was just curious as to what everyone on this board thought of it all.

If you havn't herd me buzzing about previously I've got a new '97 GS-R.
It's my first manual transmission and I don't ahve much exp. but I'm getting the hang up it.

As for the question,

When your sitting at a stop light, is it best to put the car in neutral untill the light changes then put down the clutch, get into gear and take off.

Or is it normal to just sit there in 1st gear with the clutch to the floor and the brake if necessary?

Car has just under 70k on it, and has probably seen the majority of it in the middle of Columbus so alot of stop and go and regualr usage of the clutch.

What would be the best advice to prolong the life of the clutch, or is replacement basically inevitable and it's not going to make a huge difference in how I drive it or abuse it?

here's the link to the original post OhioHondas

should make no diffrence if you put it in neutral or hold the clutch and keep it in first...

the stop and go is whats gonna kill the clutch...

EDIT: particuarially(sp?) the GO part...

personally i sit in neutral

if you are new to driving a stick shift....

and are not used to it at all,

i would advise you to NEVER leave it in nuetural. point being is that since you are not used to driving a stick, you wont be able to react as quickly had your car been in gear (did that make sense? im too lazy to re-read it)

it doesnt matter what you do at the light.

i sometimes leave it in nuetural with just the brake on, but then there are times when im on a flat road and i dont need to apply the brake.

then there are other times when i put the car in gear at the light and leave the clutch in.

either way it doesnt matter.

just avoid stopping on hills untill you get the hang on the clutch. or, if you find youself on a small hill, a good trick is to keep the car in gear, brake on. then as the guy ahead of you moves forward when the light turns green, lift up your E-brake and let off of the normal brake. then apply gas and slowly let out the clutch. then disengage the e-brake and you are on your way without rolling backwards 09098809809 feet.

i confess, sometimes when im tired as hell, or stressed out....i to this day do that little trick if im on a hill. and i been driving a stick now for 10 years.

The little "trick" sounds like it would fuck me up more then help but "to un his own"
if it helps it helps. The hill thing was what i was tripping on when i first started driving stick, but i got over it fast.

holding the clutch in for prolonged periods of time is bad for the berings, and will lead to shortened life

when i first started driving stick i had an older bmw. and when i stopped on a hill i would just heel and toe at the stop sign rev to about 3 grand and dump the clutch. it gives a nice little burnout and it's pretty fun too. :)

Originally posted by B16@May 3 2004, 01:53 PM
personally i sit in neutral

:withstupid:

My ankle is really fucked up right now so I leave it in neutral at most lights...

the only problem to that is you're putting in/letting out the clutch more frequently which will eventually cause problems.

I don't know if this makes a difference...when I was putting my motor/tranny/clutch together I tried it out. I pulled up on the lever and the axels still moved until someone held on to them. I have asked mechanics about this and they said it was normal as long as they stopped moving when someone held on to them, so if this is the case then shouldn't there be some friction with the clutch even tho the pedal is pushed in all the way?

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 3 2004, 02:47 PM
holding the clutch in for prolonged periods of time is bad for the berings, and will lead to shortened life

:werd:

I sit in neutral all the time. I generally only use the hand-brake trick if I'm on a really steep hill and the retard behind me has pulled up too close.

Most of the time I just hold the clutch in. I only stick it in neutral if I know I am gonna be sitting there a while. For hills, I practiced on a nice steep hill off the beaten path when I first started out. I'd stop a little ways up from the bottom, and then just practice feathering the clutch and the gas, a bit of a balancing act. I know slipping the clutch like that cause premature wear, but I never really worried about it, as I had a stock clutch. I've only replaced one clutch in my teg, and I've driven it well over 100,000 miles in the last four years.

I heel toe on hills. Or, I'll get out and put the hitch on while I'm waiting, if they're too close. I did this once, and made a big show of removing the hitch from the trunk and installing it. Then I got in and rolled back a wee bit... they backed right up and gave me about 15'. :)

Edit- it is interesting to notice, though, how much more room you're given when there's a hitch on the back of your car...

Then I got in and rolled back a wee bit... they backed right up and gave me about 15'.

Lmao, I laugh when I see cars with hitches on :lol:

Originally posted by MikeBergy@May 4 2004, 11:42 PM
Then I got in and rolled back a wee bit... they backed right up and gave me about 15'.

Lmao, I laugh when I see cars with hitches on :lol:

You'd die laughing here in Germany, most cars have hitches on them, Audi's, Mercedes, BMW, VW's, and then seeing them pulling trailers all over.

OT, for me it matters on the light, if I know it is short, I just leave it in 1st, long light, neutral, ebrake on, and light a smoke. On a hill, feather the clutch to hold the vehicle position, for short lights, ebrake for long.

Back