Shifting Proplems.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sazemaster

I am having problems getting my civic to go into gears while the car is running. When the car is off i can easily select any gear at all but if the motor is running then i am just moving the shifter around but it wont go into anything. I first thought that maybe the slave cylinder was bad so i replaced that and had no results and now i have also replaced the clutch master cylinder and no luck there either. Anyone have an idea what might still be causing this problem? I have been able to "nurse" the car around a bit by starting it in gear and then letting out the clutch to get it moving and then once the car is in motion then i can usually select more gears but this is a real pain in the ass. so the car sits now. since i have replaced most of the hydraulic components going to the trans, any ideas what else could be causing this problem?

thanks in advance.

Throwout bearing maybe? Sounds kind of like what my integra did when it went bad. When you say you are just moving the shifter around with the car on, can you get the shifter up into the gates and its just not engaging a gear, or it wont actually go into the gears position?

Quoted post[/post]]
When you say you are just moving the shifter around with the car on, can you get the shifter up into the gates and its just not engaging a gear, or it wont actually go into the gears position?

I cant get the shifter to go into the gates. I move it around and it seems like there are is nowhere for it to slide into. Once i turn the car off then I can freely select any gear i want.

:: T ::

How does the clutch pedal feel? I am going to keep my vote for the throwout bearing, it just doesn't seem possible that every single synchro went out in your tranny. May be a bigger issue... anybody else have some input?

my throwout bearing is going out and i cant use first gear unless i'm moving, but all the other gears work

now i dont know for sure if its the throwout bearing that is causing that, the syncro's, or the fuckin tranny

does it make a whining noise when the car is running? maybe even a screech? isn't that symptom of a throwout bearing?

Did you try tapping the gas a little and sliding it into first. Try using the clutch first and if it doesnt work, dont even use the clutch, just see if it'll go in you'll stall out more than likely but it may go in

edit: if its a dire emergency to drive the car try to double clutch when shifting, if it works your syncros are probably all bad

Quoted post[/post]]
my throwout bearing is going out and i cant use first gear unless i'm moving, but all the other gears work

now i dont know for sure if its the throwout bearing that is causing that, the syncro's, or the fuckin tranny

does it make a whining noise when the car is running? maybe even a screech? isn't that symptom of a throwout bearing?

Did you try tapping the gas a little and sliding it into first. Try using the clutch first and if it doesnt work, dont even use the clutch, just see if it'll go in you'll stall out more than likely but it may go in

edit: if its a dire emergency to drive the car try to double clutch when shifting, if it works your syncros are probably all bad

The throwout bearing more influences the clutch engaging/disengaging than gear shifting. When mine went bad in the integra I couldn't even clutch sometimes, but the gears would all work. If you can't get first from a stop trying shifting into second then into first. My toyota's gears got out of whack in its later years and a 2 to 1 shift at the light would get me into first, otherwise it was a wall.

As far as just throwing your car into first gear without the clutch..... :yourafucktard:

Clutchless shifting requires matching the RPMs of your engine (front half of the tranny) to the RPMs of your axles (back half of the tranny), of course there is a difference in actual rpms cause by the gearing, but you get the general idea. When you shift a gear you feel a pull because the extra inertia of the motor is pulling on the axles, likewise when you downshift to slow down you feel the car lurch because the motor is trying to catch up to the axles. If your axles are not spinning at all, then the only way to match the RPM's is to turn your motor off, definitely DONT tap the gas.

Your tranny is already having issues, dont try and break it more. Only try what the system was designed to do. Otherwise its like do a 100 yard dash to see if your leg really is broken.

How old is the tranny oil?
TO bearing sounds like a good place to start.
We had a similar problem, but was very loud when trying to get into 1st.. the spring fell out of the clutch disc.

Quoted post[/post]]

As far as just throwing your car into first gear without the clutch..... :yourafucktard:

There are people I know who have driven with no clutch putting it into first gear.... I'd say if he could put it into gear without the clutch (just to TEST not to go drive) it would be more aimed towards a clutch problem than a transmission problem

by the way, i tried to order a throwout bearing and the shop down the street said for my crx there aren't replaceable throwoutbearings, i need the whole clutch assembly..... is that true? i dont want to buy a whole clutch for a $30 problem (labor = $250 lol)

Usually a throwout bearing does come with the clutch kit. You might be able to find someone who bought the whole kit and just needed the disc or whatnot and has an unused throwout bearing, but its going to be tough.

Back