Shifting/Redline problems with JDM H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AccordSE

Hey guys,
I don't know if this ever happen to any of you guys but my motor isn't shifting correctly in 4th gear and the redline isn't right either. What I have is a jdm h22a w/ auto tranny in my 93 Accord SE. I have everything replaced w/ the jdm h22a ecu along with the tcu. And yea I do have the same problem as everyone else does, "I can't shift out of park"...so I'm still in the process of trying to get that solve too. Well, here's my story, Supposely my motor shift at 30 mph into 4th gear and the redline is at 7200 rpm, that's with the h22a tcu. Now, my car is shifting "on and off" into 4th gear at 30 mph and 38 mph and my redline is stuck at the Accord's 6300 rpm. I don't know if my tcu is mess up or some other things is bad. Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on here?

open loop is the ECU's reaction to something malfunctioning or not relaying the proper information back to the ecu like either a bad sensor or a knock in the engine . if there a specific sensor in the car like the knock sensor, or map sensor that is malfunctioning the car will automatically put intslf into a "safe mode" where basically it retards the timming to a point where the engine cannot be dammage by the malfunctioning and will only allow you to use basic functions like limited redline, lack of power, no VTEC ect.

but..................................

usually when one of these sensors is bad the ecu will display a check engine light

well your rev limiter has all to do with your ECU man. unless you have some kind of aftermarket MSD or some kind of rpm controller, you ECU regualates you rpm. are you sure you using a P13? (which is the h22 ECU ) cuz it almost sounds like your using a NON-VTEC ecu.

well your rev limiter has all to do with your ECU man. unless you have some kind of aftermarket MSD or some kind of rpm controller, you ECU regualates you rpm. are you sure you using a P13? (which is the h22 ECU ) cuz it almost sounds like your using a NON-VTEC ecu.

Yes, I am using a p13 ecu and my vtec still work. Even before when I got the whole H22a swap with the p13 ecu, my rev limiter was still at 6300 rpm. Until I got the Prelude tcu which I believe it is a p19 model and my rev limiter was solved at 7200 rpm (tcu is for auto only). Now, for some reason, my rev limiter isn't working again. And no, I don't have any of those MSD/rpm controller thingy. Any other suggestion?:confused:

swap ecu's with someone. That's the only way to know if you have an ECU issue or sensor problem.

ECU controls RPMS, TCU controls shift points. Either a sensor is sending bad info, you have a wiring problem, or your ECU took a crap.

swap ecu's with someone. That's the only way to know if you have an ECU issue or sensor problem.

ECU controls RPMS, TCU controls shift points. Either a sensor is sending bad info, you have a wiring problem, or your ECU took a crap.

There's no one here I can swap an ECU with. I'm pretty sure my ECU is still good because I have went through 2 ECU, one with a chip program installed (supposely to help solve my rev limiter but didn't work) and the regular stock ECU I got now. With those 2 ECU, my rev limiter was still @ 6300 until I got a used p19 prelude TCU and it solved my rev limiter @ 7200. People have told me that the ECU does not control the rev limiter for the auto H22a, it's the TCU. So, I'm just thinking, could my tcu have gone bad? :confused:

open loop is the ECU's reaction to something malfunctioning or not relaying the proper information back to the ecu like either a bad sensor or a knock in the engine . if there a specific sensor in the car like the knock sensor, or map sensor that is malfunctioning the car will automatically put intslf into a "safe mode" where basically it retards the timming to a point where the engine cannot be dammage by the malfunctioning and will only allow you to use basic functions like limited redline, lack of power, no VTEC ect.

but..................................

usually when one of these sensors is bad the ecu will display a check engine light
OMFG!! what in the fucking world are you talking about???? OPEN LOOP is just the opposite of CLOSED LOOP. closed loop is when the ecu reads off the sensors in the car; ect, o2, rpm...it reads from those and tries to stay at 14.7 afr.

open loop is where it reads from the ecu's preset maps. The only way you ecu will go into open loop is if you have modified it to do so, and the only way to do that is to chip it(uberdata/crome/turbo edit) or have some sort of ems the disables closed loop.

certified H22 super-tech my fucking ass.

what you described is LIMP MODE, which gives pretty much describes it self, meaning the ecu will act "limp" if there is a sensor malfunctioning.

If he was in limp mode, he wouldnt able to rev past 3000! that is limp mode!!

can you say OWN3D.

Last edited:
now, to the original question/issue.

are you positive the tcu is from an h22? i didnt ask if it was from a prelude because preludes came with h23's and f22a', which would mean that you could have gotten the wrong tcu if you simply went by 'prelude tcu'.

so you said that it was working initially?(after you swapped tcu's) which transmission are you using? make sure all connections are connected and there are no loose wires.
there is a plug, on the shifter which you needed to hook up so the car would know its in park, did you do this? I think its a brown or grey plug, i dont remember at the moment.

OMFG!! what in the fucking world are you talking about???? OPEN LOOP is just the opposite of CLOSED LOOP. closed loop is when the ecu reads off the sensors in the car; ect, o2, rpm...it reads from those and tries to stay at 14.7 afr.

open loop is where it reads from the ecu's preset maps. The only way you ecu will go into open loop is if you have modified it to do so, and the only way to do that is to chip it(uberdata/crome/turbo edit) or have some sort of ems the disables closed loop.

certified H22 super-tech my fucking ass.

what you described is LIMP MODE, which gives pretty much describes it self, meaning the ecu will act "limp" if there is a sensor malfunctioning.

If he was in limp mode, he wouldnt able to rev past 3000! that is limp mode!!

can you say OWN3D.

you are correct..i apologize...

i was ovibously getting LIMP MODE confused with what happens to your cock when girls touch you:lol:

Last edited:
now, to the original question/issue.

are you positive the tcu is from an h22? i didnt ask if it was from a prelude because preludes came with h23's and f22a', which would mean that you could have gotten the wrong tcu if you simply went by 'prelude tcu'.

so you said that it was working initially?(after you swapped tcu's) which transmission are you using? make sure all connections are connected and there are no loose wires.
there is a plug, on the shifter which you needed to hook up so the car would know its in park, did you do this? I think its a brown or grey plug, i dont remember at the moment.

Yea, it's a H22a tcu model, I got it from ebay. I'm not sure if it's suppose to have the same p13 number code on it like the ecu but the number code on the tcu is a p19 if anyone know that's the correct number code for the H22a auto tcu. Yea after I swap the tcu, my rev limiter went up to 7200rpm and shifts got shorter. My tranny is also a H22a tranny.
And no I haven't figure out the park shift lock yet...any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.

I think P19 is right.

You have to run a wire from your shifter to the new TCU, but I don't know which one. Do a search.

i didnt ask if it was from a prelude because preludes came with h23's and f22a', which would mean that you could have gotten the wrong tcu if you simply went by 'prelude tcu'.
quote]
last time i checked preludes did come with h22's

Back