shipping an engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

snoopyloopy

ok guys, it's my turn to be a newbie for once. anyway, i have a 1989 accord lx-i and i've located the 2.0 dohc motor that was available outside the n. american market. this engine is coded the b20a and fits the 1984-1987 prelude and 1986-1989 accord as a direct bolt-in. the jdm version made 160 hp and 131 tq, edm made 144 hp and 1?? tq. it is not the same b20a from the 1988-1991 prelude that was also coded b20a. anyway, that's more just random information. my real question is this: the engine is in new zealand, i'm in california, what would be the cheapest way to get it shipped safely? it's the complete swap: engine, tranny, exhaust downpipe to the cat, axles, shift linkage, etc. i was thinking the guy could pallet it and strap it down good and maybe freight smaller stuff in boxes. is that the best idea? thanks in advance for any help

i would if they were available in the us. :) but since they weren't they aren't plentiful at every turn like the b16. and the few people that have managed to get one don't want to part with them. so my question stands.

well yea that one is hard to find but you could get a normal accord motor all day long,, but yea i would just srap the crap out of it to a palet and it should be fine

well back in the day about 10 years ago i got one shipped to my door for 450 bucks, but i dont even know if there stiill there but heres there #1-800-592-8262 and the name of it is K.WATANABE, or there should be some on ebay. shipping will be around 150-200 bucks

i'm almost sure that's the wrong motor in the ebay auction. the motor i'm talking about is a dohc motor labeled b20a. it's different from the prelude b20a. notice how this one leans forward, toward the radiator, while the prelude b20a leans backwards, towards, the firewall. there's also other minor differences. the accord oil filler cap is on the passenger side of the vc, the prelude one is on the driver's side. and the engine serial numbers are from different sequences. the accord b20a starts with a 1 and the prelude b20a starts with a 5. here's some pix for comparison. is this the motor that you had?

accord b20a:
359877_208_full.jpg

396433_6_full.jpg

enginebay11eo.jpg

prelude b20a:
DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02167.jpg

2006031391lude00815nw.jpg

yea thats not the same motor at all, but thats what they come stock with in the usa, but thats ones sweet is that your car ?>

yea thats not the same motor at all, but thats what they come stock with in the usa, but thats ones sweet is that your car ?>
for which vehicle? both of those are jdm b20a motors that have been imported. they both were not available in the us stock. although the prelude did come with a b20a5 in the us that was dohc, it's not the same as the b20a from japan that is pictured here. and the accord never was available with the dohc motor in the us. and no, neither of those are my cars.

that last one is sweet but yea that would be nice to have that motor so i would get a price to shipp that one you found that would be nice in there, mabe even do a jdm front end on the accords,, naa i like the flip up lights better

Back