shock shot though the trunk!!!!!!!!&#3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smooth_criminal

Well i installed some GR-2's and eibach sportsline springs. verythign was fine until i got half way to work them i hear bang bang bang. I pulled over and popped the trunk and the shaft from the shock shot thought the top hat. Anyone know why this would happen? I've never had anything like this happen and i've done many suspension installs and never had this as an outcome!!

did you put stop washers on both side of the bushings that go in the top hat? When i put my Teins on, I forgot them and the shock wasn't even dampening B/C everytime you pushed down on the car, you could see that the shock shaft was just going up and down through the top hats and not compressing. someething to consider.

matt

You know what. I think your right. I remeber looking at the GR-2 shocks thinking that the bump stop and bump stop mount looked different then the front ones. The shaft is set up different. And I don't think i put the washer in. Well i'm going to baroow someones car at lunch and go home to pick up my tools and rip everything apart hopefully everything will be cool once i put the washers in. I'll let you guys know later.

ok well, I went home and grabed some shit. The only thing i forgot was the allen wrench for the stock shocks and a 14mm socket ( i was going to rip the stock unit apart and use the washers and what not from the stock unit) so i wasn't able to get them apart because i forgot the allen wrench. Anyway i had to do everythign with a 14mm open end wrench beacuse i forgot my 14mm socket :doh: what i did was put the GR-2 dust cover on. It has a double stacked washer built in, And looks like it will hold up. So for now i just put that in there and it should be good enough for the 5 mile ride home. Then once i'm home and have all the tools i need i'll rip everything apart and put everything back together. But it was hard as hell doing eveything with a wrench instead of a rachet & socket. plus it was raining the whole fucking time

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 26 2004, 12:18 PM
Good luck. Hopefully you didn't damage anything too severely.

didnt' really damage anything. The shock shaft didn't have any scaring on it, Bump stop was alittle streched out but nothing major. Everything else looks cool.

You got lucky, jamming the piston shaft through the hat could have messed it up.

Good job on the hardcore it's raining and I don't give a fuck install :)

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 26 2004, 01:26 PM
You got lucky, jamming the piston shaft through the hat could have messed it up.

Good job on the hardcore it's raining and I don't give a fuck install :)

When it happend i was going about 15 MPH and it just slipped though because i know i didn't hit any bumps. Then the second one happend while i was stopped at a corner. So i'm just glad the body of the shock didn't slam into the body mount or anything else. Everything looks flush and flat, So i'm hoping that when i inspect everythign when it's nicer out i don't notice anything else f'ed up..

And hell yeah i always work out side in the rain on my car. When ever i do something it always starts rainning.

Back