1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shock/spring combo vs coilover kits

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by stivic, Jan 19, 2007.

1. stivic

stivic Member

Im deciding on suspension for my hatch and don't know the first thing about it, it will be putting down 450 whp not going to be a daily driver, mostly track and strip. I've already got traction bars, urethane bushings sway bars and strut bars.

I'm thinking about preloading, probably slammed in the front moreso than the rear. I still would like to corner pretty well though is that possible with preloading? I've been researching on shocks, I've looked at shock dynos for hours and don't understand shit. I know there's spring companies that can pretty much give u any stiffness and height you ask but would I be better going with say a fully adjustable coilover setup? I had the tokico hp kit on my coupe and they weren't very stiff at all a lot of body roll and tire rubbing.

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

go with a full race fully adjustable coilover setup

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

No. If you don't know much about shock dynos, do NOT get an adjustable setup. Get a nice set of coilovers that has the shock valving already matched to the included springs. Omnipower makes a good set at a good price.

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:werd: no sence spending the extra money to get something that needs to be tuned if you dont have the know-how or intention of tuning it... then you just end up with some really expensive paper weights

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Unless he wants to buy my Teins- then he can spend all the money he wants on a completely adjustable system. :D

6. stivic

stivic Member

What do you guys think about Omni power race coilovers, Omnipower sells package deals with camber arms front and rear, adjustable ball joints and rear LCAs all for around 900 and thats the cost of some race coilovers alone. Sounds like the quality may not be as good as others does anyone have info on these, pros/cons?

7. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

ya get what ya pay for
    i remember a bunch of threads about a year ago about omni power coilovers freezing up or breaking
    granted this has probably been addressed by now... but id rather not pay full price only to be unknowingly beta testing someones design

8. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

Yep, the new Omni's supposedly don't have the whole breaking in half issue anymore. Most people on the SCCA boards suggest Koni Yellows + GC coilovers w/ custom rates as the ideal setup for AutoX. Granted, its something you'd have to tune a lot, but known to be nationally competitive.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted