shocks or struts?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shuturmowth

I have a 96 civic and i believe i have struts... but when i search on shocks for sale i see shocks for my car... would they just show shocks and send struts or what?? and if i buy the kyb agx's would they fit my car w/out any modification??

also i have tien s.tech lowering springs what shocks would you recommend for daily driving w/ some auto x time..

thank you

Pretty much the same thing when you're talking about your Civic... technically, struts are structural members of your car's suspension. The Civic will still maintain its geometry without the shocks/struts in place. Just look up the part numbers for your car and buy the proper units.

KYB AGXs will fit your car without modification. Just make sure to match up the model numbers to your car.

ok cool thanks... do you know where i would go about looking up the parts number... or would i be fine going by what the websites application specs??

and are kyb agx's what you would recommend??

Depends on what kind of springs you're putting them inside... I liked my AGXs when they were coupled with a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs. It rode REALLY nice, and handled really well too. If you go with any spring rates above 400 lb/in, you might want to look into something that has a higher damping threshhold (not too many on the market, Koni Yellow can handle up to about 500 lb/in effectively) or a set of real coilovers like Tein or JIC.

Look up the part numbers on KYB's site. They have an application guide. If you can't find theirs, try TireRack.com or Cox Imports.

pre 01 civics have shocks. double wishbone style.
struts are found on Macpherson-style setups, like the new EP's

the stech's will be matched well to the agx's

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 4 2004, 09:03 PM
If you can't find theirs, try TireRack.com or Cox Imports.

Mike, after reading a post on honda-tech Cox Imports, I would not recomend them. Basicly what happened was he sold a guy a Exedy Organic performance clutch, then when about 8 months and 19k miles later, the disc broke. He made a post on HT and was not pointing any fingers. About 2 posts later, person from Cox comes on (think his name was mike) comes on pointing figers saying it was a bad install. His arguements for why was total bs. Then like a day or 2 later, he makes this post "Exedy responds to honda clutch failure" and says on the inside "exedy sent this to me about the recent clutch failures" It was a poorly made document that you could tell was wiped up in 2 minutes with no real knowledge. He basicly quoted himself, even used pics from other threads, really shitty graphics, and a shit load of redundency, with no exedy letter head. You could tell that the guy at cox made the shit up and tried to pass it as a Exedy document. So everyone started bitching at him, and it turns out he was banned as a sponcer from a diffrent site (think it was clubsi, but not 100% sure) because of the same shit that he was trying to pull at H-T.

Back