short shifter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tweakman

i have a 97 pontiac sunfire (i know it sux STOP LAUGHING) but until i get a nicer car which may b a while. how could u make my own short shifter???

all you have to do is cut the shift bar in between where it connects to the shift linkage and the ball joint, and then you will need add about 1/2 an inch in between where you cut.

But make sure its sturdy for those fast and hard shifts !!!

i think the mounting position on a short shifter needs to be raised about a half inch too. It changes the angle and makes the distance between the tranny and shifter farther. That's my theory on short shifter problems.

Just get a new shift lever off ebay. they are pretty cheap and you wont have to worry about breaking welds if you extend you stock shifter

And for gods sake dont just cut down the top part of the shift lever, thats just dumb.

The concept of a short shifter is often mistaken. In fact, it's a mis-nomer.

a Short shift is physically LONGER.

it's all about leverage points. the shifter has a pivot point roughly 3/4 of the way down towards the linkages or cable depending on the car. simple pyysics will tell you that it takes a shorter throw up top when the bottom is longer.

cutting the top does nothing... if its too tall, cut it, but its still the same distance to each gate.
cutting the bottom makes your shift longer

ya i was prolly gonna get one off of e bay if i can find one i figured i could make one but that would suck if i broke a weld

Back