short shifter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chadcharb

VIP
is it important to get a name brand short shifter or does the $15 ebay special work fine?

Avoid the aluminum ones. They get chewed up and shift poorly after a while. B&M makes a nice one that can be had for a reasonable pile of cash.

they get chewed up on what? doesnt it just bolt into the linkage?
i looked up what b&m has and they are aluminum as well

Last edited:
Bah, they must have changed it up. Look for stainless.

They get chewed up in the "bearing" that is mounted between the inside and the outside of the car.. It holds the "ball" part of the shifter in place, and it is made of steel.

i see what your sayin but for $10 i can afford to replace it no problem then i can get a gunmetal one like i want

that depends on how often i have to do it but your definatly right

I got an arc short shifter from the e gay for 40$ and it's sick shit!!! Only thing with short shifters is that don't shift them to fast on a stock trany or you will grind some gears :p

The cheap piece of crap that came in my crx is chewed up and failing miserably. Its time for a new one. Another of those back burner things.

Once agian this is a classic case of E-bay=E-gay. its hit or miss.....you never know. sometimes that shit works like a champ and others its worse than when you started........

You got bad info on the B&M

B&M is steel alloy (fine to use)
Skunk 2 is Stainless Steel
Blox is Steel alloy
Blackworks is Steel Alloy

99% of the egay garbage is aluminum. If it costs $10-40, you can bet your ass its aluminum. There could be an exception to the rule, but I'm not going to sift through 400 shifters to find out.

skunk2 shifters are like $110-150, is it really worth it?

my 2 cents - I got a $9.99 APC shifter off egay and it works good in my del slow, over a year now, but i dont drive it every day either

skunk2 shifters are like $110-150, is it really worth it?

my 2 cents - I got a $9.99 APC shifter off egay and it works good in my del slow, over a year now, but i dont drive it every day either

No. They are not worth $150. Shop around, you can get them for $50-60.

my thaughts, if you have a sazawl and a welder make your own. just extend the lingth from the ball of the shifter to the end of it whare it connects to the linkage. extend it 3/4 inch, thats how much longer the skunk2 one is. do that and replace the bushings for bout 12 bucks and your set

yea,yea ,yea,what he said! hunh???????? spend the 10 bucks and when it snaps off put yur stock one back in till yor new 12 doller one comes in.Make sure u get that cool knob for an extra 5 bucks too.

yea ^^^

the shift knob is what makes it cool

buy a red ebay shifter and a skunk2 knob, and as far as anyone knowu spent 200bucks on a short throw shifter assembly from skunk2

Make your own.. Probably under 5.00 total. 3/8"-thick walled pipe about 1" long.
Unless your bushings are bad. Then buy new ones. If not just push them out and use a good lithium to reassemble. Grease the ball too. (ON THE SHIFTER)
The only thing that you have to watch out for is getting it too low and it hits the exhaust pipe,(usually going into Reverse) so measure that first to see how much room you have to use.

E

Last edited:
Back