should i buy an 88 m3?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

so this place by my house. smith motorworks has this badass e30 m3 for sale. first saw it a couple months ago and it was listed at 12k, went by last night and its down to 9500.

called the owner and talked to him for a long time today, the car is there on consignment for some guy who through his job got transferred to aruba.
he said he personally hasnt done any work whatsoever to the car so he is not going to garuantee the condition of any of it, but he said that the car owner just had full tune up (belts/fluids/plugs,etc) at a dif shop by my house. theres aftermarket seats/exhaust/coilovers, only 104k on the odometer. the car looks imacculate, needs an alignment.

1988%20BMW%20M3.JPG

the owner of sm said theres some very small rust spots around the windshield which is normal for these cars.

im going to test drive it tonight, just wondering everyones opinions.
some people on bmw forums say they are not for DD's cause they can have alot of problems, but i only drive like 10 miles a week. the cost to mod bmw's is pretty high. ive seen e30's in worse shape with more miles sell for more.

ill take a camera and try to get some better shots :wink:

yes buy that shit....love those fuckin cars....the factory fender flares are sic

or you could go with the over priced MR2 next to it...lol

ive always wanted to get a 318ti and swap a new m3 motor in it.

i hope this e30 is fun, ive been hardcore bitten by the euro bug lately.

hours and hours of researching volvo's/vw's/bmw's

Old bimmers are teh suck. I doubt anyone who is leg humping that thing has ever owned an old bmw. MONEY PIT.

And no way that thing is worth 9.5k.. Come to texas, you can pick 88 bimmers up for $600 each all day.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
ever driven one?
sure havent....but i'm sure it would be fun as hell...if you get it...swap a newer m3 motor in it..
That is blasphemy to put a new M motor in that car. That 4 banger can get 300whp N/A when tuned right, that thing was years ahead of its time.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

And no way that thing is worth 9.5k.. Come to texas, you can pick 88 bimmers up for $600 each all day.
its the M3 if you havent noticed.....find me an 88 M3 for 600 and i'll drive my happy ass down there and buy it now
Agreed, you find me an 88 M3 for that price I'll drive down and fight eg6sir for it! :) Those things are not that common, and even harder to find in good condition/low mileage.

[quote name='eg6sir' post='600193' date='Oct 17 2005, 11:07 AM']
[quote name='phyregod' post='600191' date='Oct 17 2005, 11:05 AM']

[/quote]
its the M3 if you havent noticed.....find me an 88 M3 for 600 and i'll drive my happy ass down there and buy it now
[/quote]
Agreed, you find me an 88 M3 for that price I'll drive down and fight eg6sir for it! :) Those things are not that common, and even harder to find in good condition/low mileage.
[/quote]
i'll win....lol....

yeah ive been looking at some bimmer forums and they say the e30's go by the 15k rule. a good one in nice condition goes for 15k, anything you buy thats cheaper then that you pretty much end up spending the difference t0 get it in shape.

there was one on ebay that went for around 25k a little while ago, had 30k original miles.

these things generally go for 10-15k

price sounds right, but its not red lol. early m's should of only come in red lol. I dunno tho... 9k for an 88?? even tho the miles arent too high its still an older car. now, would this be your ONLY car?? better get well acquainted with your mechanic :wink:

i still have my del sol, but either way the i only drive to work and back 5 days a week.

its less then a mile drive to work, maybe once a month ill go somehwere else.
so i drive 10 miles a week.

my girlfriend also has a car that i can use for when my cars are in the shop.

went and looked at it, interior id give 8-10 only flaw is back seats are leather and are cracking.
exterior id give a 8-10, the closer you get the worse the paint is, granted its still better then my del sol and not by any means bad. worst part is the top of the wing.

has aftermarket suspension/exhaust/intake/front seats/computer chip and new distributor/plus/wires/falken zeix tires, just had all belts and fluids changed.

couldnt take camera cause my girlfriend had it. couldnt test drive cause bat was dead.
guy didnt have time to charge it cause they were closing soon and the black eclipse featured on the website was misfiring and was there to be tuned.

all in all i would love to have it (giving that i like the way it drives), still trying to justify to myself spending 10k on a 17 yr old car.

could buy that now or hold out and get a brand spanking new car come spring like ive been planning anyway.

guy also has an 88 525 with intake/header/exhaust/chip with only 6995 on window, he said a decent offer and hed let it go just to turn over inventory.

drive it.....then think about it....he should drop the price a little more...

make sure the guy has the actual title and that everything will be done right so you wont get scammed out of any "deposit" money. Also run a carfax on that thing if you can, I mean do they have carfax for vehicles that old? Just be careful with your cash man. good luck.

Back