1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy another CRX?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Citizen_Insane, Sep 20, 2006.

To buy or not to buy...that is the question

1. Yes - Its a better starting platform for restoring

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No - You'll go broke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - its a waste of time and you'll never get rid of the rust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No - its too much of a pain in the ass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

There's a 91 red HF for sale up here for $1000 (might be able to get it for $750)...it has some driver side damage, but according to the seller its only on the door and fender (easily replacable). It has less quarter panel rust than mine and the paint appears to be in better condition, so maybe it would be a better start for the restoration process. What I would do if I bought it, would be to fix all the body rust this winter (while driving my b16 crx to work) and then after fixing up the body, I'd swap over all my performance stuff...the coilovers, brakes, engine, non-dented drivers side door and fender, possibly hood...etc. Pretty much I'd take the 2 crx's, combine their parts and end up with 1 pristine CRX (new body, w/ all my mods) and 1 beater CRX that would get 50mpg and be my daily driver. It would be a HUGE undertaking...and be a pain in the ass...but I also have a heated garage at my new place and a whole winter to get the car up and running. I'd probably end up buying an air compressor and some air tools to make shit go faster (btw, what size should I get if I want to do painting and grinding? 25gal enough?). Long ramble, I got to get back to work...but I've been mulling this over and can't really make a decision.

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

everything you've said seems reasonable...

i good mileage beater and one pristine fun car

3. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

There no si's around? Im assuming you have 4 wheel discs that you were going to swap right, or just the front discs??

dooo eeeeettttttt

4. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

Sounds like a good plan to me. Do it.

5. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

6. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

My main reasons for doing it:
    -Its another HF, it has less rust, the swap would be easy
    -I'd get a beater so if I wanted...I could put a cage in it and have a track ready car
    -It'd be fun to own 2 Red CRX HF's
    -I could loan it to my roommate with no car (I guess it only benifits him...but I probably could work something out w/ him).
    -It could be worth something someday. CRX's are already starting to appreciate.

My reasons for not doing it:
    -I only have about $1000 of disposable income right now. I hate living on the edge of my funds
    -If I buy it (I can technically afford it) I won't have $$ for R-comps for next season's AutoX unless I win the lottery (in which case I'll go out and buy an NSX anyway) which will put me at a signifigant disadvantage in SM2
    -It could end up being a HUGE mone pit

I'd probably end up buying some tools along the way to make it easier. I'd probably get a an engine hoist and a compressor, so those are kinda added costs as well. I also don't know how to paint...and I'm going to have to paint at least some of it. Should I repaint the whole thing or will it look ok if I just repaint the places where I repair the rust?

edit - he just told me he'd drop the price to $700 (I know he won't let it go for less, he refused $650) because I think he realizes that I'm a true CRX enthusiest. Anyway, there may be pics coming tomorrow of a new car :ph34r:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted