Should I chip?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My question is this....I'm currently running sort of a mini-me hybrid (Z6 engine from a '95 with the intake/distributor/ecu from a '91 Si), in my '90 hatch and it just doesn't have the acceleration I want. With the 40cc p/h injectors and the Si fuel map, I'm not taking advantage of the VTec so I stopped using it. I had it wired to the shift light on a tach but by 3rd/4th gear it just seems to bog down pretty hard.

I had heard that you could run the saturated injectors from the '95 intake....but I also heard you couldn't....so I'm not and I haven't tried since I'm worried about how the fuel curve would handle it in the '91 ecu. What I would like to do is get the Apex'i VAFC II but I don't know if I need to go ahead and chip or not. Seems like it would be a waste of time to chip AND go with the Apex'i. It would seem to make more sense, though, to get the 240cc p/h injectors from a 90-91 'teg though and try those out with the Apex'i.

From what I've heard, it seems that you can't go wrong with the VAFC II no matter what. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

240cc are MORE than enough fuel for what you need.

the ITR comes with 240's as well. if you think you aren't getting enough fuel for vtec, something else is wrong.

look for the mini-me GhD tune on pgmfi.
also, if you feel adventurous, play with the 1wire vtec code. I'm getting a G2 teg w/ LS/vtec running on it today.

I'm currently running 40cc injectors but I'm thinking about swapping in the '95 240cc injectors and the intake that came with the Z6 engine. I know the injectors are saturated instead of peak/hold but I read somewhere that it should still work.

I've played with GhettoDyne a little bit but I haven't gotten a spare ecu to play with the actual chip burning yet. I'm a bit lost on the circuit diagram on PGMFI since I think he's soldering on the board itself in order to use a spare pin on the ecu or re-delegate the pin to the vtec control. Besides, I didn't think ghD had any bins for vtec curves...I thought it stayed mostly with stock type curves. I looked at a couple of other rom editors but they all seem geared towards turbo applications and that's still a LONG ways down my road.

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Nov 28 2003, 07:25 PM
40 cc injectors?? are they from a mini bike?

yeah really i have never heard of 40cc injectors. you stated earilier that you were using a si pm6 mani. if you are using those injectors, then those are 240cc. it sounds like you maybe not getting enough fuel for the vtec. ytou have to remember you are using the factory fuel settings for a non v tec motor. so my sugestion would be to use an apexi vafc. so you can engage the vtec and set you fuel and air maps. just use the pr3 diagram when wiring the apexi. you wont have to use a few wires on the apexi though. i kinda did the same woth my non vtec integra with an ls/vtec swap. i have had no problem since going with the apexi. good luck

Back