Should I do DPFI>MPFI and OBD0>1 at the same time?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scuzz

Guys, I searched and not found what I need.
I have been given the intake, engine harness, dist, ECU, and anything else I need from a 92 Civic.
I have a 88 CRX DX, and want to use the parts to change over to MPFI.
Would it be beneficial to go to OBDI at the same time, or is that too much at one time?
I've worked on cars for years, but I'm new to Honda.
Any advice or link to site would really help.
Thanks,
Ron

Are you changing the engine out for the one in the Civic? If so you will have to convert to OBD1 in order to use the ECU from it.

Rywire - Online Store is one place to get the OBD conversion harness from.

I re-built the engine about a year ago when a friend gave me the car. He bought it new for his daughter in 88 and it smoked so bad they parked it about 6 years ago. The oil rings had seized to pistons from carbon buildup.
It's a great running car now, but I wanted to get rid of the DPFI, and another friend had this blown 92 car with same basic 16 valve engine told me whatever I wanted, use it.
I thought it might be good to convert to OBDI while I was changining to MPFI.
Is it easier to do same at same time since I have everthing?
I was hoping I could find a thread where someone had done both at same time.
Thanks,
Ron

I am in the same boat. Converting DPFI to MPFI. I have everything I need except for the under dash harness and the ecu. I have a extra PM6 ecu but the pins are not in the right spot to do the conversion so Im just going to swap out the whole harness. Need any other info let me know.

Guys, I searched and not found what I need.
I have been given the intake, engine harness, dist, ECU, and anything else I need from a 92 Civic.
I have a 88 CRX DX, and want to use the parts to change over to MPFI.
Would it be beneficial to go to OBDI at the same time, or is that too much at one time?
I've worked on cars for years, but I'm new to Honda.
Any advice or link to site would really help.
Thanks,
Ron
not any real advantage to switch to OBD1 unless you are going to a SOHC VTEC engine or are going to boost it - going to OBD1 would require the purchase of the OBD0 to OBD1 ECU jumper in order to use the OBD1 ECU

I'm thinking that to keep the D15B2 engine, I might just pick up OBD0 MPFI stuff and keep it simple. Might be worth extra effort and expense if I was going to change engine.
I do have a complete B18B1 running setup in a totaled 92 hatch, if I could find deal on mounts and hydro changeover. Maybe down the road.
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
Are you changing the engine out for the one in the Civic? If so you will have to convert to OBD1 in order to use the ECU from it.

Rywire - Online Store is one place to get the OBD conversion harness from.

+1 for Rywire. I believe they actually have a conversion harness that does both at the same time (DPFI to MPFI and OBD0 to OBD1).

Finally got it

Well I finally got the dash harness. I just so happen to go down to a local junk yard in Germany and gound a 89 Station wagon that had a D16A6. So I snagged the harness ECU and the distributor. Took about 2 hours to get the harness out the distributor was already unbolted. Just going to take my time swapping the manifold into my car I want to do it right the first time and not have to go back over my work. I will post some pics later

TRU

As soon as it gets a little warmer, I'm going to use the OBDI manifold w/injectors, and the OBDI ECU I got from a 92 civic and I've bought the OBD1>OBD0 conversion harness.
That should be an easier swap, with the converter harness and not having to wire up resistor box.

Should be

That jumper harness should be alot easier than what I am about to do. Not only am I going to use a resistor box but I am replacing the entire cabin harness as well. I dont think jerry rigging wires into my existing harness to make the mani swap work is a good idea. I would rather do it right or not do it at all. Let me know how it goes..
-TRU

Back