Should I do the Conversion Myself??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondamidnighter

All of the alarm retailers here in San Antonio want to charge 250$ to 300$ to do a power door conversion and a basic Freedom 500 alarm. Is that expensive??? Tell me if it is so that I can do the power door locks conversion myself. And then put a alarm for 150 or 200 bucks. :huh:

do you have alarm? i have a compustar and the place that put mine in said they can add locks for about $120 if you dont have alarm i can see it being that much

depends on how much information you can get about the installation. usually only dealers get the deep down info. i asked the guy who installed my alarm, and he wouldnt even give it to me. its doable with information, but i tried to add a hood pin to my old civic with a viper alarm, and it was hell.

$300 to add power windows, locks AND an alarm is actually pretty damn cheap- IF that's the turnkey price. Is it?

:werd: I've never got a quote lower then 65 per door for power door locks, and that's just entry and exit, no manual switches involved besides adding that to my existing alarm. Mostly you're paying for labor, not the actual door solenoid actuators.

You dont even need to know wiring. Most power lock kits are prewired, if you can see colors, you can wire it up. The only tricky part is getting the actuator mounted in the door. The kits are cheap, around $40 for 2 door cars.

I just did my power door locks, power windows, and alarm, it took me about 4 hours to do it, but only because I wanted it to look clean. If you want to take the lazy way out buy some EX doors! Oh and I spent about $100 for the pw kit, $20 for the door locks, and $50 for the alarm, and got all teh wire codes online and on the forum. Let me know if you need them.

i work at best buy and we charge $50 per door plus the actuator. trust me, its simple as hell just do it yourself.

yeah their basically chargein you to take off you door panel and zip tie an acuttor in and connect it. i had it done on my old 95dx then i took it apart to see how it was done. easy as hell. fuck payin 75 a door for take off your door panel.
i'm in denver and all the quailty auto sounds around here charge 49.99 for the accuator kit per door then a dollar install.

Thanks for all the replys guys. Maybe I will do the conversion myself. Thanks for all of your opinions. :D

Back