should i fix my motor or do a swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a 94 civic coupe ex with a d16z6. i let my friend drive it and he called me saying it ran out of gas, and when i got there, it wasnt out of gas, but i could see the timing belt up against the top of the timing belt cover where a hole was drilled.
when i turn the key, the pistons dont even move.
and he said when it happened, the motor instantly shut off, along with the abs and power steering. so do you think i have any valve damage?
if so,should i do a swap?
what would be the cheapest and easiest swap to get at least 150hp and keep my a/c?

thats not much to work with as far as swapping anything in there goes

you might be able to find a used D16Z6 for under $500

the D16Z6 is an interference engine.... now that doesnt mean that you automatically destroy your head if the timing belt lets go... but it means that you CAN destroy the head

you can remove the head and inspect the valves for signs of contact (bent, broken, mangled, etc)
if everything looks fin then you are good to go, throw a belt on and drive it

if it is damaged then you can get another D16 head and toss that on... or throw in another engine as i said above

if you are a bit of a gambler and dont mind possibly wasting a few bucks you can just throw a belt on and see if it runs ok... do a compression and leak down test and if it all seems cool then drive it... if its shot then you can still use the belt on the used Z6 you pick up

youre also gunna want to do the water pump while you are in there

hope that helps... good luck

oops yeah missed that part.... that engine is shit... get the D15B

Is it possible the belt jammed against the cover and stopped the engine? I never have seen an engine that wouldn't turn over because of valve contact. usually they spin over real easy after valve contact ie no compression. Just a thought......sounds like the crank locked to me though try turning the crank a little with a socket and ratchet and see if it rotates. long shot but I like to know before I scrap something

Back